UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Eye-Catching GUIs (from NIWeek)

First I want to say that the session by Jonathan Cohn was awesome and inspired me to do a little more w/ my GUIs.

I was wondering if the slides or examples from the presentation are available anywhere for download?  I think if the presentation was posted here, it would generate a lot more interest for the group.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 45
(23,376 Views)

I'll have a word with Jonathan and see what material we're able to offer (whether it be on here or on our website at www.bloomy.com).

Shaun

Message 2 of 45
(5,338 Views)

Please do.  I wasn't able to make it to NI week, so this would be much appreciated.  m

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 45
(5,338 Views)

His presentation was awesome. Solid gold. During the presentation he went over quite a few great examples and promised all of us we would be able to download them later. If you don't plan to make it available on bloomy.com, does he have a blog or something? Can he just post the examples here in the interest group resources?

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 45
(5,338 Views)

I emailed Jonathan a week or so ago and he said he was going either post the information on bloomy.com or this interest group.  I'll post when I hear more.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 45
(5,338 Views)

Hey Guys!

Sorry, it's been a while since we last talked.  Since the presentation is a bit larger than 5.0MB, i've uploaded it elsewhere so you guys can download and take a look at it.

Hopefully we can get a discussion going here about random stuff to possibly make the presentation better next year

sexytitle.jpg

https://www.shred444.com/lv/SexyGUI.zip

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 45
(5,338 Views)

Edit: You fixed the link nevermind.

Wish you could present for the NI company decision makers and inspire them to make UI improvements a priority on the LabVIEW roadmap. It should be easier to make VIs look good than it is. I hope you really rocked someones socks off at that presentation because using the default 'modern' controls and indicators makes your program look like it was written for windows 95

[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 45
(5,338 Views)

fixed it. I think I'll check out Simon's new snipit tool

Thanks for the comments... It seems like a decent amount of people were interested.  Graphic design has been a hobby of mine ever since i can remember...so I enjoy bringing my web design skills to applications for customers. 

I believe I'll be speaking at the Boston NITS convention and maybe others later. I'll have to work on a new portfolio to show you

-Jonathan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 45
(5,338 Views)

In my mind, improving the LV GUI to be more "modern" is critical.  I have lost jobs because people perceive the LabVIEW UI elements to be old, ugly or both.

Wes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wes Ramm, Cyth UK
CLD, CPLI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 45
(5,338 Views)

I encountered a potential customer that was convinced LabVIEW itself was old and obsolete just because he had worked on some front panels designed with the default settings. Even after showing him everything LabVIEW can do he still wasn't convinced because it looked old.

[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 45
(5,338 Views)