AVM Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking In

Just checking to see if anyone other Q is using this and if you have any feedback or ideas.

If so, feel free to reach out.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,223 Views)

It would help people know about it if you explained what "AVM" stands for.  Maybe include a screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,206 Views)

Thank you Dr. Powell for pointing that out.

I guess I figured nobody would end up here by accident.

AVM is a tool available on the LabVIEW tools network. 

https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/tools-network/download.automatic-version-manager.html

It was something I created to ease the pain of having multiple versions of LabVIEW installed on the same computer (this was before I discovered virtual machines). Its main feature is it allows you to doubleclick on a VI or other LabVIEW file type in Windows Explorer and open it in the "correct" version of LabVIEW (that is the last one it was saved in) assuming you have it installed. If not, you get a warning noting the discrepancy.

Very useful stuff, before I discovered VMs, which pretty much made it obsolete. This was post was basically just an attempt to keep this forum open and keep NI from deleting it due to inactivity. I should probably let this die, but it seems there are still some people using it, so I wanted to keep the support channel open, even though it doesn't get much traffic.

If anyone who is still using this, wants to move to Virtual Machines, just ping me. I've got a ton of blog posts and resources about it and I am happy to share.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,145 Views)