BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum reputation

I just wanted to share a small point with you guys. I've just had the nice problem of having to choose between two job offers. In itself nice, but after a drought period of 2 years looking, it actually annoyed me more than it should have.... Either way, in both sets of interviews the prospective employers "knew" me based on my NI forum username (which I always include on my CV). I found it kind of weird at first but in a way it certainly allowed the discussion to start at a different level than it may otherwise have done. In short, I was very happy to actually have my forum activity and shared knowledge (whatever I possess at least) actually count for something in the "real world". So thanks to everyone who takes part in the forum, together we've created a place where not only can you get and give help, its reputation extends beyond technical help. Shane I now have the added benefit of being able to work in an environment where I (for the first time in my life) will NOT be the lone LabVIEW programmer in the company. Finally. In fact the entire product line runs on LabVIEW FPGA and Real-time with LabVIEW controlling the lot from PC.
Message 1 of 15
(9,302 Views)

Congratulations Shane!

I'll spare you the biblical quotes but will say a prayer in thanks for the good news.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 15
(9,262 Views)

Thanks Ben,

Regarding quotes, fire away if you want.

My post formatting seems have gone to heck, makes my post kind of hard to read....  First time that ever happened to me.  Weird.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(9,255 Views)

Congratulations!

I am sure that Champion badge was also useful 😉

Forum participation can go both ways, for example if your name would start similarly to the greek alphabet, you would have crashed and burned:o.

In any case, all the best. Hopefully you will be able to keep participating.

Message 4 of 15
(9,245 Views)

I'll be doing my best to add FPGA and REAL-Time to my contribution boards....

Yeah, Champion status may have helped too.

Message 5 of 15
(9,237 Views)

I'm sure your champion status didn't hurt. Though I haven't encountered it in an interview I have had similar experiences. Though people generally remember my icon more than my user name.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 6 of 15
(9,233 Views)

What's really scary is when you're out eating dinner at some greasy fast-food joint, and someone asks "are you <insert_your_forum_nick_here>?" Smiley Embarassed  That's happened to me twice now.

Congrats on the job offers! :internet-highfive 🙂

Message 7 of 15
(9,212 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

What's really scary is when you're out eating dinner at some greasy fast-food joint, and someone asks "are you <insert_your_forum_nick_here>?" Smiley Embarassed  That's happened to me twice now.

Congrats on the job offers! :internet-highfive 🙂

They made that assumption based on your avatar or did they just recognize your motorcylce outside tied to the hitching post?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 15
(9,210 Views)

Congratulations on the job offers.

Enjoy the work and I'm sure you will do them proud (if your forum contributions are any indication).

Are you taking both or can you direct one of them to offer the job to us contractors on the forums?

Rob

Message 9 of 15
(9,205 Views)

Well Rob, the one i didn't take WOULD be open for contracting but they're in Switzerland and customer visits would be a big part of the job, soooo..... if you're in Switzerland then yeah, let me know.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(9,196 Views)