BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the gotchas thread?

Ben, you are right. The search could use some improvement! I am pretty sure I saw a "Gotchas" thread and wanted to add something to it or see if the something was already mentioned. I know there is the "Things not to do in LabVIEW" but that is not really about gotchas.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 1 of 11
(13,720 Views)

I think I can field this one.

The thread is LabVIEW Minutiae (that might bite you someday)

Rob

Message 2 of 11
(13,717 Views)

Ah! That's the one. Thanks.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 3 of 11
(13,712 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

Ah! That's the one. Thanks.

You mean you couldn't remember the word "minutiae"? Smiley Tongue I was about to go tag that thread with "gotcha", but I can see you've beat me to the punch - thanks for making the internet a smaller place with tagging Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(13,649 Views)

I still don't get tagging except for personally marking messages. I have yet to see any tag come up in a search. Despite the original message saying that tags were searched along with other parts of the messages. For example, I just searched for "gotcha" and did not get the Minutiae thread showing up in the list.

So, seriously, I don't see any community benefit (unless you consider it a benefit to race to see who tags the most).

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(13,640 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:

I still don't get tagging except for personally marking messages. I have yet to see any tag come up in a search. Despite the original message saying that tags were searched along with other parts of the messages. For example, I just searched for "gotcha" and did not get the Minutiae thread showing up in the list.

So, seriously, I don't see any community benefit (unless you consider it a benefit to race to see who tags the most).

Rob

Gotta search gotchas, not gotcha.  Although it seems someone added a gotcha tag, so both searches returned it for me. 

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(13,637 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:

Rob

one minor point you may have missed.  you CAN visit the tag clouds of other members.  Several members have very well organized tags and I derive much value from those efforts. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(13,631 Views)

@Robert Cole wrote:

I have yet to see any tag come up in a search.... For example, I just searched for "gotcha" and did not get the Minutiae thread showing up in the list.

That's just a search engine Fail if tags are not prioritized in search results.

Also, the reason "gotcha" may not have returned a result, it because I added the tag <1hr before you searched, so perhaps it was not yet added to the search engine index? (Not a Fail per se - at best, a simple latency)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(13,628 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

That's just a search engine Fail if tags are not prioritized in search results.

I just searched "Gotcha", and Minutiae came up as the 4th result. The three results above it had "Gotcha" in the title, so apparently a word in the Subject is weighted higher than a Tag, and a Tag is weighted higher than an occurence in the Body. This seems OK to me.

Gotcha

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(13,623 Views)

Okay, maybe it was just a latency problem. This time when I searched, it showed up at number 4.

I should pay more attention to tags, I guess and maybe give it a try once in a while.

Rob

Message 10 of 11
(13,618 Views)