Enhanced Icon Editor

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making changes to the Icon Editor (Group Development concept)

I know it is Open Source and I can make changes if I like... But that sort of defeats the purpose of making it open source, nevertheless, If I improve one feature, and then someone does another feature, how do the two integrate together?  Looking through the source, I do not see a plug-in feature concept that allows one to make changes to a specific section, or target a specific tool to enhance or modify.

Maybe I am missing something?  As noted in the discussion on the color chooser, I have what I need to implement it, and can easily fit it in the existing tool... Great, but the next time NI releases an update or someone has a better feature, then the change is lost, unless I implement it as a VI script, but then, someone has to apply patch upon patch... nevermind having to undo a previous patch to do something and on, and on.

What is the game plan or is there one?

-p

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,229 Views)

That is true, there is no plugin functionality right now.

If you want to contribute to the open source IE, I suggest that you download the most recent updates, start building your changes on top of it, post the updated VIs and I am going to add it to the download repository manually.

If you have an idea how to refactor it to get a plugin structure, I would be very thankful if you voice your thoughts.

There is a plan to have some kind of a plugin structure in the future, but this can be only used to change the UI based on user input (like one prototype version from PJM, where he redefines (moves) groups of UI elements).

I am not sure though, when this is going to happen on our site, it is just a plan right now.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,795 Views)

Hmmm, I will give the refactoring some thought.  Obviously it becomes complicated quickly when you want to add new events in a plug-in style architecture.

I will 'throw in' my changes to the UI for the 'watered down' color chooser for those of us who are color challenged or do not like so many choices.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,795 Views)