FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is any of the FIRST Robotics Library code compatible with the Robotics Starter Kit?

I'm looking to setup a robotics lab and the Robotics Starter Kit is a cool looking platform.  As an FRC and FTC coach it all looks very familar.

Since the RSK is based on the Single Board Compact RIO, how much of the FIRST libraries and examples are compatible?

eg:

If I add a hub, Gaming Adapter and Axis camera, can I use the vision code autonomously?

Can I use the any parts of the libraries in conjunction with the Driver Station and Dashboard code to run my RSK robot?

What about the FPGA code... eg: can I use/develop stuff like the Gyro code, or PWM code.

Basically is any of the code I know, resuable in this environment?

Phil.

Get a life? This IS my life!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,172 Views)

That is unfortunate.

I was initially looking at the NXT + TETRIX + LabVIEW Educational Addition for my lab, (only $20K) but finally opted for the Robot Starter Kit + Academic LabVIEW bundle ($32K).

Seems like the NXT option might have had better support (from the FIRST perspective).

Hopefully the RSK is equally well supported in terms of robotics libraries & examples.

Perhaps the WPI/NI developers would consider some cross support for the sbRIO platform... even if it was only in the form of FIRST FPGA code source to adapt for the sbRIO.

Thanks.

Phil.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Cool.  That's all good to hear.

Hopefully it is possible to put a Wireless Gaming adapter on the sbRIO and develop wirelessly?

Can you expound on the Video issue?

I never really understood the implications of having two ethernet ports on the cRIO.

Since they weren't interchangeable, I assumed there was something that made them different, but what exactly prevents me from adding a hub to the sbRIO and attempting to grab images from the camera?

Phil.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, the FPGA code was created specifically for the cRIO and it won't work on the sbRIO. Without the FPGA code, I think the majority (if not all) of the WPI Robotics Library is not going to function either.

I wouldn't discourage you from using the RSK though as a learning platform. It will be a bit more complex than what we give you for FRC but it does offer a lot of features that let you explore different aspects of robotics.

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Actually, it can be argued that RSK is better supported. There are more examples and libraries available for that platform. As well, phone and forum support of the RSK is available year around, as opposed to FRC which has phone support only during the build season.

As for adapting the FRC FPGA code for the sbRIO, unless there is a high demand for it from students and mentors, I doubt that will happen. There are some key differences between the cRIO and the sbRIO:

- the sbRIO has only one ethernet port which means you won't be able to use the camera
- the breakout boards (bumpers) won't fit on the sbRIO so connecting sensors/actuators won't be as easy
- the connector for the digital side car will not fit with the DI/O connector on the sbRIO
- there aren't the same number of available analog I/O and digital I/O between the two platforms

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Hi Phil,

You can configure the sbRIO to talk to a wireless adapter and then use TCP communication to pass data between the board and a host computer.

This tutorial may help shed some light on the implications of having two ethernet ports. You do bring up a good point about using a hub. I haven't ever tried using a hub with the sbRIO in this way, so I can't say for sure what will happen. But I would imagine that you could set up two different TCP communications that would address two different IP addresses (one for the camera and one for the host PC). In the VIs and FPGA code that we've given you in FRC, we've taken care of a lot of this set up for you (Which is why the IP Address of the camera has to be set to 192.168.0.90).

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Hi

This article (http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/7148) implies that I can use an IP camera with the Single Board cRIO for vision processing.

Where can I find a good low-end choice for camera?

The FIRST Axis camera was cool, but I think it's not available any more.

I'd like to find a moderate price unit at the start of it's life-cycle.

Any recommendations?

$300-$500 would be viable price range.

Goal would be to use for autonomous vision processing/navigation

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,173 Views)

I saw Greg McKaskle recommend the Axis M1011 as a replacement for the AXIS 206. It works with the existing FIRST libraries, which may be usefull.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,173 Views)

Thanks, I'm narrowing down my choices.

The Axis M1011-W is my current camera choice (the W is for wireless which provides some extra flexibility), while still retaining the hard wired connector.

I'm also looking at attaching a small router and making the robot it's own mobile wireless node.

My current choice is:  ASUS RT-N13U Wireless router   (some very cool features plus small size)

Now all I need to know is if I can connect some I2C LEGO NXT sensors to the sbRio.

Phil.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,173 Views)

First reply;

Another possible plus for using the RSK is that it has a simulator that is shipped with the kit that integrates with LV.  It allows LV program and setting changes to be tested and refined very quickly.

Full disclosure: we wrote the simulator, and welcome any feedback or questions, etc.

All the best

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,173 Views)