FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running LabView without DriverStation

Is it possible to run LabView FRC VI files without having DriverStation present?  We're trying to work on different dashboards, and would like to have the flexibility of testing them out without the robot present.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,500 Views)

LabVIEW can be used to write applications that run on the local PC, it can be used to write applications that run on the robot.

Robot programs are located under the  "RT CompactRIO Target" node of your project (as with the FRC cRIO project)

Remember when you "run" a robot project for testing, although the Front Panel runs on the PC, the "real" code is actually running on the robot.

Stand-alone PC projects are located under the "My Computer" node of your project (as with the FRC Dashboard Project)

So, any code that is under the "My Computer" node does not need ANY other hardware (Driver Station or Robot) to run.

However, to run "Properly" (and display data) it does need the DS and cRIO connected.

So if you just want to play with the Dashboard screen layout, then just your PC is fine.

But if you want to make syre that valid data is being displayed you need the robot.

Phil.

Get a life? This IS my life!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,651 Views)

What we'd like to do (if possible) is create some sort of a shell that "fakes" the VI into thinking that there is something connected.  Even something as simple as control of the digital/analog inputs or joystick inputs through simulation would be useful.  What do we need to tell the FRC Project so that it thinks that there is some hardware out there?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,651 Views)

I have been investigating the creation of a simulator to allow for code to run without the cRIO or drivers station.  Due to the architecture of the system, this is more than a trivial task and would require a fair amount of time.  The general approach would be to wrap Robotics Library VIs with a Conditional Disable Strucure having two cases: default and TARGET_TYPE=="Windows".  Then within the Windows case add simulation code.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,651 Views)

It should be possible to run without the driver station, however, certain hardware features will be inoperable, such as the solenoid outputs (9472 module), PWM, and relay outputs.  This is done for safety reasons, to prevent runaway robots in case the driver station is disconnected or fails.

Regards,

JeremyB

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,651 Views)