FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Router/game adapter question

We got a new game adapter, I got it set up, I think. I have a PC hooked up to the game adapter and the Classmate hooked up to a Cisco router (WRT610N) that we got in the kit a couple of years ago.

First where is the wireless router setup documentation?

Second:

I have it set up and I can ping from the Classmate to the PC (i.e. ping -> router -> game adapter -> my PC) and a response comes back.

When I ping the other way, from the PC to the Classmate (i.e. my PC -> game adapter -> router -> Classmate) I get a response time out.

Question: is this normal?

I don't have the robot here so I can't verify the communications are working with the cRio but we have will be at a technology expo on Tuesday (promoting FIRST) and I want to make sure we get there and we have a working robot.

Thanks

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,163 Views)

Hi Joe,

The setup documentation can be found on FIRST's website.

As for your second question, you should be able to ping the Classmate to the PC and vice versa. I would double check the IP adddress of the Classmate and make sure no firewalls are turned on.

Cheers,

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,085 Views)

Thanks for the doc location. For some reason I have a hard time finding the right docs.

For the second question, that was what concerned me, we should have been able to ping all the way through, both ways. But couldn't.

However, this weekend, some other activities were going on at the school (something about summer school) and so we were able to get on the robot. Eventhough the ping didn't work, we were still able to hook the game adapter to the robot and the router still connected to the classmate, and the robot worked.

Bottom line was it all worked.

Thanks for your help.

Also, are you going to be at NI-Week? I was going to be there Wed. and Thur. and would like to meet you and say thanks in person if you're going to be there.

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,085 Views)

Hi Joe,

I'm glad it all worked and yes, I'll be at NI Week. You can find me at the Robotics Summit Wednesday afternoon.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,085 Views)

Unless the Robot summit is held in the Expo area, I won't be able to go. I'm oging on an Expo pass so I can network with some of the people I know down there. The division of the company I work for has decided that since "there is no immediate impact to the bottom line" they won't be sending anyone to NI Week...except the manager who said that of course.

Since this is for me and not the place I work (they don't let me work with robots here), I'll probably be hanging around the Robotic pavillion as much as I can. It would have been nice to go to the "Using Synthetic Neural models to augment traditional control systems" session since one of my hobbies is AI and I'm trying to integrate my NN onto a Lego Mindstorms brick.

Hopefully I see you around.

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,085 Views)