Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to see remote instrument using VISA Server

Hi,

My problem involves using 3 PCs, (A,B and C), with VISA Server to view remote devices.
I have no problem with PCs A and B seeing the others devices in MAX.
But neither A or B can see C's devices, yet C can see both A's and B's devices.

The following error message is returned by both A and B when C's device details are refreshed:

viFindRsrc returned 0xBFFF00A8 (Access to the resource or remote machine is denied. This is due to lack of sufficient privileges for the current user or machine.)

Please check the remote machine's settings and make sure you have added this machine's network address to the permission list.

Possible causes for this error:

1.The remote machine you are accessing has not granted you permission.

2. The remote machine you are accessing has denied you permission to access its resources.

3. You may have set up your server with a specific IP address and configured your client machine to different IP address rather than the machine name (ie, the client's IP address is assigned by a DHCP server).

I have a clear understanding of how to configure the VISA Server to search Remote Systems and allow access
by remote PCs, but I don't understand why A and B cannot see C's devices ?

Background details:

PC A : Win 2000, not administrator group user, MAX 4.1.0.3001, NI-Visa 3.6.0.49153

PC B : Win XP Pro, administrator group user, MAX 4.1.0.3001, NI-Visa 3.6.0.49153

PC C : Win XP Pro, not administrator group, MAX 4.2.0.3001, NI-Visa 4.1.0.49152  

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,116 Views)
Looking at the visa versions showed a big difference in releases.
try to get them to the same higher version.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,090 Views)

Hi Albert,

I tried NI-VISA 4.1 on PC "B", to match the version on PC "C", but still no joy.

I found this link which prompted me to obtain and try NI-VISA 4.2 on both PCs:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9107A7F281F9B408625720B0078E5A8

The link basically talks about problems with Firewalls and NI-VISA 4.1.

The use of NI-VISA 4.2 resolved the problem, all PCs can now see each other's devices.

A colleague mentioned a similar problem, which he solved by modifying the PC's
Firewall settings.

cheers,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,071 Views)