From Thursday, May 23rd (05:00 PM CDT) through Friday, April 24th (1:30 AM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW APIs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a custom property node?

I'm not sure if this really belongs in the API category, but it's a close enough fit.

I'm developing some wrappers for IVI-C drivers for a client. I'd like to provide a property node on the palette much like other APIs (i.e. DAQmx, other IVI base drivers, etc). I think what I'm trying to do is somehow extend inherent LabVIEW capabilities (i.e. the class hierarchy). I've scoured NI forums as well as lavag.org, and I can't seem to find anything related to what I envision as some extensible area of LabVIEW that I'm not familiar with. Perhaps this is not even possible. A couple of architects have already suggested to me that it probably is not possible.

Ultimately, what I am trying to do is create a property node that is custom to properties (or specific attributes) from an IVI-C driver. I am using the Instrument Driver Import Wizard, and I am also using Attribute Accessor functions to get/set attributes. I'd prefer to create a custom property node and deploy that with the driver rather than the get/set VIs.

Has anyone ever tackled this issue or something similar to it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,271 Views)

Let me answer with a question... are you an active LabVIEW beta participant?

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,374 Views)

On top of the question of being on the beta forum, will you be attending NI Week by chance?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,374 Views)

Participant: Yes!, Active, No. I've had the beta installed for about a month, but have only had a couple of nights to explore it. I'll go back and see if there a feature I'm missing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,374 Views)

Yes! I'll be there for Alliance Day and the remainder of the week.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,374 Views)

If you want a more public reply, have a look at this idea, which has an In Beta status.

(3,374 Views)

Thank you very much, tst! I'd forgotten this was on the Exchange.

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,374 Views)

I can also point out that the actual feature does more than the suggestion in the idea exchange, but I won't go into details here.

(3,374 Views)