LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Improved LabVIEW Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit Now in BETA

I had the same problem, FWIW. The link is nondescript, and I'm pretty sure the registration form says you'll get an email when you're approved.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 68
(2,917 Views)

I've always wondered why I can't right-click a VI name in the trace (after stopping) and say "hide this VI". Or now, also have the option to "Exclude this VI" from subsequent traces.

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 68
(2,917 Views)

What is the "Highlight" column for? I've only ever seen it say "Object".

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 68
(2,917 Views)

For certain DETT trace events, we are not able to highlight the object that caused the event on the block diagram, so double-clicking that event will only open the VI that it is in.  See below:

highlight.png

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 68
(2,917 Views)

Everyone, if you applied for the beta and didn't get an email, we apologize.  There was a problem with the database.  You should all be approved and can access the link from ni.com/beta.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 68
(2,917 Views)

I'd like the possibility to type in regular expressions in the search bar.

Also it would be nice that every match of what you typed in in the search bar is highlighted as you type. Not the entire line, just the searchterm.

Maybe also an option so it automatically jumps to the first match, when you type, if there is no match currently visible.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 68
(2,917 Views)

Regular expression is considered hard to use. Especially in this quick search situation. Probably a wildcard support is enough. What is the situation that you can not solve by using wildcard?

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 68
(2,917 Views)

If you do a wildcard instead, can you provide '?' in addition to '*'? I can't provide a specific situation for needing complex searches, but artificially limiting the search feature seems like it could come back to bite us. This is an expert tool, after all.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 68
(2,917 Views)

Admitted: wildcard would probably suffice for most situations, also the situation that made me wish for regex search. I was searching for an error code and remembered just the first three and last three digits - and in regex you would type something like "107\d+388". Of course I would have found it with a wildcard search also.

But the thing is, I've found regex is just like a swiss army knife. When you have it in your pocket - you often dont need it, but when you forget to take it along - you always find yourself in a situation that calls for your swiss army knife.

http://xkcd.com/208/

Message 49 of 68
(2,917 Views)

I'd just like to reiterate that being able to permanently (either in my DETT_filter.ini or in an application configuration menu) customize the table layout is a critical usability feature for me. I need to get rid of unused columns so I have as much space as possible dedicated to the ones I do use, and so that there's less "garbage" cluttering up the table when I search through it for information.

Specifically, I never use the "Event", "Thread ID", "CPU ID", "Highlight" columns, and sometimes I put enough information in my trace detail string to remove the "VI" column, too.

Message 50 of 68
(2,917 Views)