LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing National Instruments folder from C:programdata\National Instruments to another partition

So, i tried to follow the steps i found in a topic regarding changing the installation folder of NI and NIPM from C to D (for example) using regedit ... Well everything good untill after installation i saw that my System partition (C in my case) had 30GB in minus. I tried to find out where was the National Instruments installed and it was in ProgramData (that folder contains license manager and other stuff). Is there any way to change the path of this folder (too) to another partition using regedit? Asking this because i'm not sure what to do (what key, path to add to make it work)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,013 Views)

Another option might be to use symlinks, except that Windows Upgrade supposedly still can stumble over symlinks and mess up a properly working system in the process. I'm not sure if that also applies to 3rd party programs installed in C:\Program Files.... or only for the C:\Windows directory though.

After creating a folder at for instance "D:\National Instruments" (and making sure that "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments" doesn't exist) you could enter on the command line

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments" "D:\National Instruments"

Now there will still appear to be a folder hierarchy at "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments" so the NI installers will be all happy, but the actual storage of all those files will be on "D:\National Instruments" 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 3
(2,987 Views)

LabVIEW doesn't install into your /programdata folder!  That's where NI keeps all its data files, like the license files and stuff.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,938 Views)