LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Install

Solved!
Go to solution

At present Labview 13 is running in one PC which need to be formatted and OS is required to be installed once again. Please let me know if the Machine code will get changed if the hard disk is formatted. If so then then the old license will get consumed and I need to use new license. I think the machine code is a unique id against motherboard. So it should not get changed if the hard disc is formatted and fresh OS is installed. But I need a confirmation as I do not have more license. Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(136 Views)

Motherboard seemst to be not included, but Drive serial - yes.

From kb Article Where Does My NI Computer ID Come From?:

"There are two sources that the computer ID can be based on. One is an Ethernet card's MAC address and the other is a hard drive’s disk volume serial number. By default, desktop computers are based on an Ethernet card and laptop computers are based on a hard drive."

Technically its not a very big deal to obtain and change serial number, it is not hardware serial, but volume serial, for example Hard Disk Serial Number Changer.

Its about Unique NI Computer ID for Activation and Licensing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(111 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tanmoy_vec

Thanks for the reply.

In my case it is all in one PC (desktop). In that case it is the MAC address from which the Computer ID is generated. So If the hard disk is formatted and OS is installed freshly, the machine id will not change I guess. I just wanted to make sure that in the process of formatting hard disk my existing activation codes(read lincenese) won't get consumed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(98 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tanmoy_vec

@tanmoy_vec wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

In my case it is all in one PC (desktop). In that case it is the MAC address from which the Computer ID is generated. So If the hard disk is formatted and OS is installed freshly, the machine id will not change I guess. I just wanted to make sure that in the process of formatting hard disk my existing activation codes(read lincenese) won't get consumed.

The only question is - how NI decided is this "desktop" or "laptop". But you can always re-create activation codes based on the serial number of you license. For Offline Activation just fill the Activation Code Generation Form, that is. Its OK when hardware gets changed, you don't need to purchase new license in this case, just install and activate as usually. I never ever keeping the activation codes, the only serial number is important.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(91 Views)