LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple RT Loops; One FPGA Reference

Solved!
Go to solution

I have three loops all using the same FPGA reference.

Loop 1 - Reads most of the data from the FPGA for display on the HMI

Loop 2 - Uses the information made available by Loop 1 as well as some additional data read from the FPGA to perform functions needed by the HMI and writes commands to the FPGA.

Loop 3 - Uses Data from Loop1 as well as additional data read from the FPGA to perform safety fuctions and writes commands to the FPGA.

My questions are:

Does the FPGA Refence point to a single memory block where all three loops are looking at the same data?

Do I need shift registers on the While Loops to keep the data updated properly?

Do I need to run all three wires to a Close FPGA Reference from the While Loops to close the reference properly?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,241 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy.Stevens

Yes.  No.  No.

I assume you mean by the FPGA reference you are talking about the FPGA reference wire going into a node that reads or write to the front panel control or indicator that is part of the VI running on the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,236 Views)

I assume you mean by the FPGA reference you are talking about the FPGA reference wire going into a node that reads or write to the front panel control or indicator that is part of the VI running on the FPGA.

That is correct. The wire from the Open FPGA VI Reference node at the beginning of the program.

I was pretty sure this was the case. I just wanted to get a second opinion. I really don't like working off assumptions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,225 Views)

What you are describing is exactly what I am doing in my VI that communicates with the FPGA VI.  The only thing I'm not doing is accessing the same FPGA front panel item in mulitple places.  But I am accessing different front panel items in different loops.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,214 Views)

I'm trying to be very careful about accessing the FPGA. If the data is available on the RT side, I'm using that data through local variables. The only time Loops 2 and 3 are reading data from the FPGA is when it is not already available from one of the other loops (usually Loop 1). Loop 1 does not write to the FPGA at all.

Loop 2 is event based. It waits for HMI interaction, or changes in data in Loop 1. Using shift registers in Loop 1, the previous itereations' data is compared to the current iteration. A change in data generates an event in Loop 2 (not used for analog signals)

Loop 3 handles my analog signals (pressures and fluid levels) and triggers safety protocols on the FPGA if something goes awry.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,204 Views)