cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9237 increased noise when using external power supply

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am using an NI-9237 bridge module to measure load cell data. The load cell I am using (ATI 6 axis load cell) is sensitive to temperature which results in signal drift. As per the manufactures recommendation I would like to power the the load cell constantly in order to reach a thermal equilibrium to minimize measurement drift due to changing temperatures of the load cell from being powered on (during measurements) and off (between measurements).

When I choose the Vex source as "internal" it seems the load cell is only powered when a measurement is being made and as such the load cell is receiving current intermittently between my tests / measurements and with this there is a fluctuating temperature (heating up when measurement is made, and cooling down after measurement has ended) and this is causing thermal drift issues.

I have tried to bypass this issues by using an external power supply and by setting the Vex source to "external" and in this configuration I am able to achieve thermal equilibrium and the drift issues are less problematic (now only slowly drifting due to atmosphere/environmental conditions) but unfortunately a lot of noise is introduced when using an external power supply and the SNR is significantly poorer than when Vex "internal" is used.

My questions

- Is there a specific power supply that should be used (I am using a laboratory grade variable bench top power supply and I have tried a number of differnt power supplies with the same effect)

- Is there any method to reduce the introduced noise though a differnt wiring method or addition of components or by using certain grounding schemes?

- Is there a setting in NI max to power a load cell constantly rather than only when a measurement is taken?

I realize I can probably make a VI where the load cell is powered constantly but with data only sampled when needed but I am not a Lab view programmer so this would take me quite some time to achieve.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(262 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kmonk

Are your power supplies switchers or linears? Linears are less 'noisy'

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(224 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kmonk

When you say "laboratory grade", for most manufacturer's it is just a marketing gimmick while specs say otherwise.

Yes, a clean and stable power supply will help improve your measurements.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(218 Views)

The power supply is linear.

I have since tried differnt power supplies and have found a great deal of variability in the imparted noise. Fortunately I have also found a power supply (tenma 72-10505) that delivers only a little more noise than when using Vex "internal" so in my case the issue is sufficiently solved. 

Thanks for steering me in the right direction

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(209 Views)