LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Trying to Install Labview 8.6.1 on Windows 7 Get Error Code -12

Hell Matt,

Windows 7 is being heavily investigted in various departments.We will make more announcement on our website.

Getting Read for MS Windows 7

http://www.ni.com/windows7/

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(8,186 Views)

Now that Windows 7 is officially out, is there a way to install LabVIEW 8.6.1? The installer still gives an error.

BTW, we can't upgrade to LabVIEW 2009 due to issue 183979. Our IT department is pushing Windows 7 out to everyone except LabVIEW users until we have a way to install 8.6.1 or until 2009 gets fixed.

Thanks,
Pat

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(7,831 Views)

Hey Pat,

8.6.1 should work fine - people in our department have it running on Windows 7, but I think in XP Compatibility mode.

Make sure you're running the installer as administrator.

Check out this link about Windows 7 Installs.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(7,805 Views)
My only real success with it so far as been to install it in "Windows XP Virtual Mode" which in essence installs it on a virtual PC and lets you at it via Windows 7 interface.  Now a bunch of drivers gripe that they can't "see" the hardware.  We also can't (won't) upgrade to 2009 becuase we have to baseline our softeware at some point and we decided over a year ago to baseline on 8.6.1.  A installer patch of some sort would be nice.  Maybe Q4 09 updates?
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(7,792 Views)

8.6.1 installed fine after I downloaded the installer from the Services Resource Center.

The problem isn't with 8.6.1, it is with the 8.6.1 DVD installer. The SRC had a stand-alone installer for LV 8.6.1.

With the DVD installer you get the -12 error, the destination path isn't filled in and then the installer crashes. This happens when running as admin as well.

On the DVD there is a folder called Distributions that has the individual installers (the DVD installer is just a wrapper that calls the other installers). I had some luck going to the Distribution folder and running the individual installers (like VI Analyzer, Internet Toolkit, etc.). I could have probably installed LabVIEW this way as well.

I didn't try the Device Drivers because we don't connect to hardware (I know, weird). I'm guessing that is a whole other can of worms.

Message 15 of 22
(7,791 Views)

I can't install the labview 8.5 in Win 7 too(even in XP mode).

The NI tell me there are not support now.

So Anyone can help me how to install the  labview 8.5 in Win 7?

I can't find the folder called Distributions in labview 8.5 DVD?

Thank you very much.

lin

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(7,731 Views)

Hi cornetlin,

While not officially supported, please install and run as administrator in XP compatibility mode. That should hopefully work for you. Check out that install guide for Windows 7 I posted above.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(7,644 Views)

Dear Jeff:

I try your method.

But it still showing the "Get Error Code -12"

I try to install in Labview 8.5 folder, it show other error below

\ConfigInfo.cpp(1467): IInstallerError 11002
Fatal Error.  Failed to open handle for \\tsclient\H\LabVIEW 8.5\Bin\merged.bin.
Failed to open install session for \\tsclient\H\LabVIEW 8.5\Bin\merged.bin.
Msi Error: 1645
Error Record: <Unable to format error record.>

Thank you

Lin

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(7,609 Views)

So, it has been long since this problem comes out. Can anyone tell me how to install LabVIEW 8.6.1 on Window 7? I got the same error with error code -12. Thanks a lot. very important. Also, will the NI drivers supports Window 7 as well?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(5,403 Views)

What you've read is basically what there is. It usually works, but sometimes it doesn't.

As for your other question, did you try a search?  National Instruments Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 7

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(5,381 Views)