Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest NI-KAL and dpkg- Possible Ubuntu/Debian support?

anshuljain wrote:

[   36.861149] nipalk: no version for "nNIKAL100_unregisterPCIDriver" found: kernel tainted.

The only thing that concerns me is the "[   36.861149] nipalk: no version for "nNIKAL100_unregisterPCIDriver" found: kernel tainted.". I am using it on my laptop and not a desktop..so could it be due to that? Also, using Shawn's commands as in the post above:-

That message means that you did not build the kernel modules with modversions enabled.  On kernels 2.6.25 and older that is fine and won't cause any problems.  On 2.6.26 and newer it will prevent the modules from loading.  You should be able to fix this by using NI-KAL 1.10 and making sure that the Module.symvers file is present in your kernel source directory.

anshuljain wrote:

Now a quick observation, NI-VISA 4.5 does not have a --no-rpm option...4.4 has that. I find that this option is far more suitable as compared to the --nodeps option, as it allows the user to go ahead with the installation using cpio and also configures the kernel modules. This would be extremely useful for Debian and Gentoo based systems.

NI-VISA used to have its own custom INSTALL script but in NI-VISA 4.5 transitioned over to the same tools that build most of the other NI Linux INSTALL scripts.  It may have lost some functionality in the process but has reduced our maintenance and makes it easier to add features to all NI installers without duplicating effort.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 42
(996 Views)

Hi,

I have been able to succesfully install nikal 1.10,

but I want to knwo how did you install ni 488.2,

the ./INSTALL Script doesnot seem to work however I wanted to knwo did u conver each rpm into .deb and then rant installer ustility of each?

UIt would be great if you could describe th emethod in detail

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 42
(996 Views)

Hey Shawn,

I have been following all your post quite closely, even then im not able to install the gpib drivers. I have NIKAL 1.10 installed properly. now after depackaging all the rpms except NIKAl since it is already installed I can see all these folder

ravi@linuxRavi:/usr/local/natinst$ ls -la
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 2009-09-15 15:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 2009-09-14 16:59 ..
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 2009-09-15 15:40 ni4882
drwxrwxr-x  5 root root 4096 2009-09-15 14:10 nikal
drwxrwxr-x  7 root root 4096 2009-09-15 14:59 nipal
drwxrwxr-x  7 root root 4096 2009-09-15 15:40 nispy
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 2009-09-15 15:40 share

they all have

----<inversioned.o> under /src/object

I think im quite close. I somehow have to put them in the kernel. from what I understand that u have asked to

find /usr/local/natinst/ -name "*InstallerUtility.sh"
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/bin/nikaliInstallerUtility.sh
/usr/local/natinst/nipal/bin/nipaliInstallerUtility.sh
/usr/local/natinst/ni4882/bin/ni4882betaiInstallerUtility.sh
/usr/local/natinst/nispy/bin/nispyiInstallerUtility.sh

and then run Postinstallfollowed bu update driver.

The problem is that although the Installer utilities exist

there is nothing like Postinstal script

so far all i have is this

lsmod | grep ni
nikal                  69576  0

but I am far from installing NI-488.2-beta-2.5.1b1

Please help

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 42
(996 Views)

Hi I was able to instal NIKAL 1.9

but I am having trouble installing ni488-beta2.5.1

you claim here that it gets installed easily without giving any errors using the script INSTALL can you please elaborate.

for me its wasnt working

do I manually installed each rpm by converting them debs

however as Shawn says we need to run the INStaller utilities for each of them followed by Postinstall scripts,

I dont see the postinstall scripts under the bin folders althought I see the Installer script for each package in /usr/local/natinst?

can anyone please descrie this method in detail

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 42
(996 Views)

Hi I was able to instal NIKAL 1.9

but I am having trouble installing ni488-beta2.5.1

you claim here that it gets installed easily without giving any errors using the script INSTALL can you please elaborate.

for me its wasnt working

do I manually installed each rpm by converting them debs

however as Shawn says we need to run the INStaller utilities for each of them followed by Postinstall scripts,

I dont see the postinstall scripts under the bin folders althought I see the Installer script for each package in /usr/local/natinst?

can anyone please descrie this method in detail

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 42
(996 Views)

I am stuck pretty much right where tanuj is -- would like to see this dormant thread come back to life.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to access the post installer scripts?  I'm running the installer scripts in Ubuntu with sudo ./<script name>

mike

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 42
(996 Views)

Hey Mike,

Did you try following this tutorial?

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6742

If that doesn't work it is always helpful to explain exactly what errors or problems you are receiving.

--

Shawn

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 42
(996 Views)

Shawn et al,

I got Ubuntu 9.10 talking to the GPIB following Vincente's tutorial.  I encountered some problems, however, and have laid out my procedure in some detail in the comments section on that page.  Thanks much.  mike

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 42
(996 Views)

Ubuntu 9.10 uses the 2.6.31+ kernel. How did you manage to get NI-KAL compiled and working? NI-KAL pretty much stopped working from 2.6.28+ onwards due to the removal of init_mm() in the kernel code.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 42
(996 Views)

Thank you for pointing out this error in my post. I incorrectly stated that I got NI-KAL working on Ubuntu 9.10.  In actual fact it was 8.04 with kernel 2.6.24-26-generic.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 42
(996 Views)