Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

program locks on DAQmxBaseCreateTask

Jaques,

LabVIEW for Linux supports NI-DAQmx (Base) and plenty of NI USB devices just fine. I have used USB-6009 devices with openSUSE without any problems. See

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/431/lang/en

Sergey L

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 43
(696 Views)

Sergey,

I may be wrong but it seems to me that you and I do not relate to the same thing.

Your reference is to  niDAQmx BASE which is definitely nothing near the full LabVIEW.

I claim that even niDAQmx   (not niDAQmx Base), not only Linux LabVIEW, does NOT support my USB 6008 under Linux.

I too, of course, work under Linux and the C API using niDAmx Base, without any problem (Scientific Linux).

This is not what I am complaining about.

I consider intolerable to offer Linux LabVIEW and Windows LabVIEW as alternate OS support, while Linux LabVIEW lacks

the most important feature named and advertised as"Data Acquisition Functions and Wizards" with the restriction to Windows printed in those very small letters which are usually used by Insurance Companies.

See http://www.ni.com/labview/how_to_buy.htm and look for "Data Acquisition Functions and Wizards", please.

Yanqele

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 43
(696 Views)

Jacques,

You probably used the Full variant of LabVIEW. The professional version does include an application builder for you to deploy your VI. You may also purchase it separately (see link).

For your data acquisition question, the features you mentioned actually come from the DAQmx driver. The documentation on the LabVIEW side is somewhat incomplete. If you want to get a better picture of what DAQmx Linux supports, especially the difference from Windows version, you should take a look at its readme.

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 43
(696 Views)

Jacques,

Yes, you are right, it is disappointing that so many Windows features are not supported on other programs, and you have to dig really deep to find that out. When I ported a LabVIEW program from Windows to Linux, I knew of DAQ limitations, but the fact that timed loops were not supported on Linux was a nasty surprise for me. Well, that's the price for using a non-mainstream OS... Still, I consider us lucky even for what NI offers for Linux and other non-MS OS's: for example, AFAIK, Agilent VEE and Mathworks do not support any hardware on Linux.

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 43
(696 Views)

Dear SongD

Come on!

You write:

"If you want to get a better picture of what DAQmx Linux supports, especially the difference from Windows version, you should take a look at its readme."

So may I ask, have YOU read that readme file, or only looked at it?

Because, mind you, this is where I had read :

" * USB data acquisition products - Not supported. Refer to the "Support in NI-DAQ

8.0.1" section for a complete list of supported devices."
before complaining on this Forum that niDAQmx does not support my USB 6008 under Linux !

And you also write:

"You probably used the Full variant of LabVIEW. The professional version does include an application builder for you to deploy your VI. You may also purchase it separately (see link)."

which suggests that you may have looked at, but not read, the difference between LabVIEW and the Application Builder, otherwwise could you explain what I would do with a distribution generating tool for a LabVIEW VI which cannot be built under Linux, neither with the Full nor with the Professional flavors of LabVIEW ? My problem is not to deploy a VI , it is to create it, and Linux LabVIEW, all flavors, lacks the tool.

May I kindly suggest that you respect the readers, specially in the Linux community, by not considering us as illiterate by default?

Just for your information, niDAQmx BASE plus the C API plus GTK is just what an illiterate needs, to create an application within reasonable time, with much less overhead, and at no extra cost after purchasing the excellent 6008 USB hardware, without spending several kilodollars on crap software pretending to support Linux.

Yanqele

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 43
(696 Views)

I'm sorry but you completely missed the plank with your agressive attack. Calm down! Some excuses might be in order too!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 43
(696 Views)

Hi folks,

It's pretty clear Yanqele has some strong opinions about LabVIEW and Linux and what it is or is not, and how useful or useless it is. While I welcome critical statements about NI products and drivers (I like having direct challenges to shortcomings of my work so I know where to put effort), I don't like to see attacks on a person's contributions to a discussion. I would like to remind everyone to give each other the benefit of the doubt when reading a post -- tone of voice is difficult to discern from a text-only statement; and, compounding the situation, English may not be a person's first language and so they may not know the best way to phrase something and have the reader think it was coming from a helpful attitude and not from a dismissive attitude.

Yanqele, I would like some clarification on what you mean by "My problem is not to deploy a VI , it is to create it, and Linux LabVIEW, all flavors, lacks the tool." When I read 'create' I hear 'create a new VI', but I think you mean something else. Are you referring to creating a new stand-alone executable VI or something else?

Joe

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 43
(696 Views)

Dear Jacques,

There might be some misunderstanding of my earlier post.

You had some concern about the accuracy of the LabVIEW website, relating to the DAQ assistant (wizard). So I stated that the DAQmx readme has more accurate information regarding data acquisition, in which it states DAQ assistant is not supported on Linux. I had the impression that you got some wrong information from the LabVIEW site and I was merely trying to say that the DAQmx driver readme is more up to date.

In the LabVIEW "build VI" part, could you be more specific on what you meant? I thought you meant deploying your application like building a stand-alone executable, which is supported by LabVIEW.

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 43
(696 Views)

I'm sorry for the unneeded reaction. It wasn't meant to attack the poster, but I can see that it could be interpreted that way. From all I had read so far I was convinced that SongD had made a very justified contribution but it was shut down as being unqualified.

And even in that post I could not see what yangele meant with the impossibility to create a VI that was not answered by SongD's post already. Obviously he couldn't mean creating a VI so to me too that left the option to create an executable which LabVIEW for Linux obviously can do. Only rereading the entire thread and your and SongD's last comments makes me believe that he is actually talking about the DAQ Wizard, which IMHO is just a bit of a useless tool for anything but a Getting Started application.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 43
(696 Views)

i'd say that the conversation has gone slightly out of topic too, since LabVIEW has very little to do with my real problem....

so, can we please get back on track?? thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 43
(696 Views)