NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot into run mode

I have a PXIe-8861 with RT Linux preinstalled, and I'm struggling to get it to boot in run mode. I have been able to connect to it and enable ssh, but whenever I try to install anything via opkg the installation disappears whenever I reboot.

Things I have tried and looked at already:

• uname -a returns "Linux NI-PXIe-8861-03236F4A 4.14.146-rt67-cg-8.5.0f0-x64-32 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Aug 25 01:58:07 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux". Firmware version is 8.5.0f0. 
  • GRUB says that run mode is not installed, and the only option is to boot in safe mode. Selecting run mode will make the system boot in safe mode.
  • /boot/grub/grubenv has safemodenabled=False.
  • NI MAX indicates that the system is in Safe Mode (No Software Installed). "Force Safe Mode" is unchecked.
  • When I attempt to Add/Remove software in NI MAX, no software options appear and no Base System Images appear. 
  • In etc/natinst/share/ni-rt.ini, safemode.enabled is set to False.
  • etc/init.d/nisetbootmode force-normal and rebooting did not work.

I can't seem to find anything in the documentation mentioning this. Is there anything I should do or install? Should I attempt a fresh reinstall of the OS?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,582 Views)

Update: I have solved this. It seems that it was a bug with NI MAX. Rolling back NI MAX to an older version did the trick. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,535 Views)

I just purchase 2 PXEe-8861 Labview RT system and both machines show Run time (not install) at boot and only able to operate in SafeMode.

Can anyone provide instructions on how to boot into run mode?  Do I need to download and install driver in the brand new system?

Thanks,

Waymon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(538 Views)

I just purchased a PXEe-8862 Labview RT system and have the same issue where the machine shows Run time (not install) at boot and only able to operate in SafeMode.

I have the same question as Waymon.

Thanks,

Callan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(424 Views)

I now realize that PXIe-8862 with LabVIEW RT doesn't come with all the software installed.  You need to connect to the 8862 via MAX first to configure and install the run mode.  What is frustrating is that for some reason I was unable to connect to the 8862 controller over DHCP and did not know what static IP address to try.  It turns out that the default IP address (if not using DHCP) is 169.254.5.57.  I hope this helps someone out there!  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(418 Views)