Orange County LabVIEW Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi OC users..

I just wanted to introduce myself to the OC Community. My name is Mike and I work for Eaton Aerospace in Costa Mesa. I am in charge of design/repair and maintaining the various test equipment for our System Displays in Cockpit Controls and Actuations. MY experiences are in AutoCAD, OrCAD, Cadence Allegro and as a CLAD, preparing for the CLD. I am looking forward in learning the various techniques and efficient coding you may have to offer and hopefully do the same back..

Warmest Regards,

Mike Flores

Quality Test

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,638 Views)

Hi Mike,

I am also planning to take the CLD in a couple of months.  My work experience is very similar to yours.

I took the CLD about 2 years ago and failed.  I think the most challenging part of it is the 4 hour time limit.  They gave me a problem which required a producer-consumer architecture.  I’ve been advised to stick with state machine/event structure whenever I can.  I was also advised to do a lot of documentation since it’s 25% of the score.  I also think that it’s important to be able to understand and modify the elapsed timer VI. It took me almost an hour to get it to work and it didn’t help at all.

Have fun preparing for the CLD and good luck to us all,

Sang Bui

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,133 Views)

JKI wrote up a blog article about how we prepare for the CLD exam:

http://blog.jki.net/community/pass-your-cldcla-exams-the-jki-way/

I agree with Sang that the hardest part is the 4 hour time limit, which is why it helps to know which architecture you are going to use, before you take the exam.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,133 Views)

Some helpful resources that help me understand the different architectures in programming being used is"The LabVIEW Style Book" from Bloomy Controls. It seems that the State Machine is the most simplest to get your VI's up and running very quickly. I like the complexity of the Producer /Consumer, but that style is not very quick for me to have on hand when it comes to a 4 hour test, and I have heard many horror stories when being used for the CLD. So, stick with something simple and stupid...whatever it takes to get that cert. I mean, I know I can program with any of the styles...but, state machines are the easiest.I just don't like spaghetti coding algorithm that goes with it...Thanks for the welcome!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,133 Views)

also, what I have found helpful in saving time was to HIGHLIGHT the .pdf CLD document "displayed" text to insert into the string controls...so I will not have to type it out...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,133 Views)

Hi Mike,

I wanted to alert you to a CLD prep course offered free at the Irvine Hilton this coming Tuesday at the LabVIEW Developer Education day event sponsored by NI.   More importantly for you, those registered for this event will receive a $200 discount voucher that can be applied toward the CLD exam.   See the link below to register.   If you come to the event we should meet since we work so close to each other.   FYI, I'm a manufacturing test engineer for Ametek Aerospace.

Dale

http://sine.ni.com/nievents/app/offering/p/offeringId/1132990/site/nic/country/us/lang/en

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,133 Views)

Hi Dale,

Yes, I am currently registered for the event and will use that voucher, as I was told that it would cost $299 for the CLD. Looking forward to meeting you and sharing some ideas in testing...

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,133 Views)

Guys,

It was my pleasure to meet Sang and Dale there at the NI Devloper Education Day. Looking forward to connecting with you guys soon....Great seeing Vanessa also! Planning to take the CLD at the end of August together with Sang and taking the LVOOP class.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,133 Views)

It was great meeting you all.  I may not be available at the end of August.  Is it possible to move the exam date to the 1st or 2nd week of Sep?  Hope to see you guys again in OC user group meeting or on the CLD exam date.

Cheers,

Sang

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,133 Views)

Hi Sang,

Sounds good for me.....more practice time and comparing styles

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,133 Views)