PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MXI] Pcie-8361 and PXI-1033 chassis not seen in MAX

Hello,

I am currently facing an issue with my PXI setup. I have a PXI-1033 chassis which I know working, and a PCIe 8361 board (199042B-01L).
I followed the installation guide carefully, but the PXI chassis or the PCie card wont appear in MAX, despite having both the two green lights on the PXI chassis. I followed then the NI MXI troubleshooting guide (link), I updated the BIOS of my motherboard, the PXI service, DAQMX, still nothing,
I noticed the following error in the windows event logger at each system start-up : 
MXIe BIOS Compatibility Software has found a configuration that is currently not supported per our licensing terms and conditions. To use the default configuration set up by your BIOS, disable BIOS Compatibility Mode on your National Instruments MXI host interface(s). See the documentation for your MXI interface(s) for details. If you need more information or help on this error, contact National Instruments. status = 0

The problem is I don't have a DIP switch on my PCie 8361 revision. I also try each MXI compatibility version, but no success. The board ins not even detected by the tool...
Do you have any idea of something I could be missing ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(215 Views)

Hi GoFerarri,

The DIP switch on the PCIe board is right under the National Instruments logo on the top of the board. There are 4 switches on one package that probably looks like any other component you might see on there. The switches themselves are on top of the package (and tiny). Make sure the top one is switched left (off)

Robert__R_0-1712239067594.png

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(184 Views)

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your quick feedback.
I noticed differences with the "normal" PCIe-8361 as shown in the user guide and my version.
My PCBA does not have the component at the location shown in your Gerber.
Maybe NI made a new revision which does not have the switch anymore?
Attached a picture I found online matching my board.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(165 Views)

Hi GoFerarri,

The board in your picture has a different part number from what you listed for the PCIe-8361, so that explains the difference.

For the version you have the error message doesn't matter. MXI BIOS Compatibility software isn't useful (nor harmful) with this board, so it's just reporting that it didn't find a board it could do anything with.

For your setup I'd look closely at the orientation of the cable (the troubleshooting guide mentions it) and also look at the back of the cable connector on the PCIe card. On some batches of those connectors, when inserting the cable, the pins could "catch" and push the pins backwards out of the housing.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(155 Views)

Hi Robert,
Indeed with your feedback I noticed that the part number on the ESD bag and the part number on the PCBA itself are different, which I cannot explain.. (picture attached).
It is good to know for the connector issue, thank you. Unfortunately, after careful checks, no pins are push backwards on the female sides of connector. Nothing special on male side either, I noticed the two pins at each row extremities are a bit longer than the other ones, but I guess it is a built in feature to guide the connectors more easily in the female socket, as both side of the male connectors have the same pins rising a bit (maybe 1-2mm more). I am using a 3m mxi cable from NI.
I will keep looking for connexon issue as it seems the more probable root cause based on your inputs.

- Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(148 Views)