UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For Controls Without Borders (or as small as possible)

So over on LAVA we had a thread discussing a cluster with as small of borders as possible.  What was made was a cluster that only had one pixel on the left and one on the top.  Since then I've also found a borderless picture control, and one pixel (maybe zero pixel) array.  But today I'm looking for a subpanel that is as small as possible.  Starting with the classic sub panel you can paint the border transparent but then there is about a 6 pixel border (3 on each side) that I'd like to minimize.

And as a bonus I'm looking for a 1 pixel splitter, and a way to set splitter position and size programatically.  The smallest I could make a splitter manually was 2 pixels and was disappointed to find that I couldn't set it through scripting.

Message 1 of 3
(3,399 Views)

Minimum size of a classic subpanel in LV2016 seems to be 11 by 11 pixels. I tried that via the size dialog: Entered 1x1, wound up with 11x11.

If it's a border that's bothering you there - I couldn't observe the 3pixel border you mentioned. In the classic subpanel I made everything transparent, turned off all scrollbars (for the subpanel as well as for the inserted VI) and moved a classic numeric control via PN towards the right border of the subpanel. As my screenshot shows - subpanel and numeric control outside are positioned right beside, no visible margin other than the control margins themselves.subpanelborder0.png

I attached my test VI and a random VI I had lying around (both LV2016). When you save them and want to try yourself, don't forget to update the path for the VI reference that's going into the subpanel.

I hope I understood your question correctly...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,359 Views)

I took a blank VI and colored the front panel, then inserted it into a classic subpanel.  With the border not colored transparent I am able to measure the border size at 3 pixels all around.  I then realized that you can right click the subpanel and choose Visible Items >> Frame and turn that off.  This was a setting I wasn't familiar with.  Now there is no border.  Note that the decoration is set to Horizontal Compress to see the two objects next to each other.

Subpanel Test.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,342 Views)