VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of NI-9853 into Veristand project

I am working to integrate two third-party motor controllers into a test stand, which can send status data over CAN.  I'd like to be able to bring the CAN data into my Veristand project that is operating this test stand.  Since I will have two devices sending data via CAN, the NI-9853 seemed like the best choice.  I have some experience with setting up the XNET database for CAN, but it looks like the 9853 requires the FPGA instead of using XNET.  I did find the example FPGA VI for the 9853 that will allow the raw CAN data to be read (I am currently using the FPGA for other functions in Veristand), but what I'm missing is how to define the decoding of the data like is typically done with the XNET database.  Does anyone have experience doing this that can give me some quick steps on how to bring decoded CAN data from a NI-9853 into Veristand?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(251 Views)

To my knowledge, no one has ever created an FPGA personality that supports the cRIO CAN module.

Perhaps the closest option you have is to use FPGA Addon. See Getting Started With NI FPGA Devices in NI VeriStand

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(224 Views)

I have been trying to figure this out, too. It's fairly easy to get the raw CAN data from the 9853, but converting it to engineering units is the challenge. It's easier in Labview, cause you can use the XNET conversion VI's on the raw CAN data, but in Veristand I think you need a custom device to implement the conversion.  I have never created a custom device, so I don't know how hard this would be.

Another option is to use the NI-9860 with 2 TRC-8542 transceivers. This is much easier, cause you can just use the native XNET capabilities in Veristand.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(206 Views)

I am starting to think the NI-9853 isn't the way to go.  I have little familiarity with implementing CAN hardware, though I have configured XNET before.  I have two automotive controllers that just transmit internal status/fault information over CAN, which is all I want to monitor.  It looks like I could use a NI-9862 and daisy chain the two controllers, or I could use the NI-9860 and two TRC-8542 cables (this seems like the easiest implementation).  I was looking at the compatibility tables, and it was saying these aren't supported on EtherCAT and require use of the FPGA.  I am using a cRIO-9049 controller running in FPGA mode and a NI-9145 EtherCAT as an expansion unit.  Is it possible to install the NI-9860 in the EtherCAT, or does it require the FPGA?  The reason I ask is that I tried to start a new FPGA Labview project, and the NI-986X series modules are not available to add to the FPGA.  Seems like conflicting information, unless I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(151 Views)

The reason I ask is that I tried to start a new FPGA Labview project, and the NI-986X series modules are not available to add to the FPGA.

You cannot and don't have to add NI-986x under FPGA. It runs on RT. See Getting Started with NI-XNET Installing and Configuring It for NI VeriStand and NI LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(145 Views)

So the NI-9860 will work if I install it on my cRIO-9145 EtherCAT chassis running the scan engine?  I guess from the compatibility information it seemed that it would need to be in a slot on my cRIO-9049 controller, which is running in FPGA mode.  I think I'll need to get to the TRC-8542 software settings as well in order to enable the terminal resistors, just wasn't sure how that worked in NI-MAX and/or Veristand.  I believe we have a path to getting a DBC file from the motor controller supplier, so setting up the XNET database should be easy enough.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(112 Views)

The NI-9860 will work if I install it on my cRIO-9145 EtherCAT chassis running the scan engine? 

NI-986x doesn't work in NI-9145 EtherCAT chassis, regardless of the programming mode. Reference: C Series Module and CompactDAQ or CompactRIO Hardware Compatibility with LabVIEW

it seemed that it would need to be in a slot on my cRIO-9049 controller, which is running in FPGA mode.

It needs to be installed in cRIO-9049, in Real-Time mode. Reference: Using NI 986x Modules with cRIO-904x or cRIO-905

TRC-8542 software settings as well in order to enable the terminal resistors, just wasn't sure how that worked in NI-MAX and/or Veristand

The termination resistor can be enabled under the Port tab of CAN channel in VeriStand.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(101 Views)