VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirtualBench looks greate but it would be nice if the scope were 12 bit instead.

The virtual bench hardware concept is awesome.   The price is right and the mix of hardware is perfect ( a small switch matrix would be a cool addition) but my only real complaint is the scope - it would be nice if it were 10-12 bit instead.   I would definitely pay an additional $500-1000 for the additional resolution.   The rest of the specs are great.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,753 Views)

@johngardner58 wrote:

it would be nice if it were 10-12 bit instead.

What scopes have you been using?  Most scopes I have looked at have a 9 bit.

My main complaint wit the specs was the DMM.  I would have liked at least a 6.5 digit DMM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(6,746 Views)

We have been using LeCroy 12 bit scopes.  Most scopes I've seen are 8 bit.   We do a lot of small signal stuff (mV).   Differential probes can be used to amplify but we have found that extra resolution works better.   Most of the time we are analog and we really don't need speed just resolution.  I would settle for 10 bt but after having used  12 bit scope I don't think I would settle for an 8 bit scope.

We do a lot of fully automated work.   For automation 5 1/2 digits gives the necessary data acquistion speed and enough resolution if the range is confined.   I think it is a bit more than 18 bit (almost 19) resolution which is pretty darn good.  At a 10V range this would be 76µV per bit at 18 bits and half that at 19.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,736 Views)

@johngardner58 wrote:

We have been using LeCroy 12 bit scopes.  Most scopes I've seen are 8 bit.   We do a lot of small signal stuff (mV).   Differential probes can be used to amplify but we have found that extra resolution works better.   Most of the time we are analog and we really don't need speed just resolution.  I would settle for 10 bt but after having used  12 bit scope I don't think I would settle for an 8 bit scope.

I'll have to give LeCroy a look one of these days then.  I'm a fan of Tekronix scopes.  I'm sure they have 12 bit as well, but are likely more expensive than I would want to spend for my setups.

As far as the DMM, I've been spoiled by the PXI-4072 for far too long to want to go down to a 5 1/2 digit DMM.  Of course, the PXI-4072 also costs $800+ more than the Virtual Bench.  Might be worth the hit.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,726 Views)