Western PA LabVIEW Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbundle by name within dynamic VIT class instantiations creates a broken run arrow. (Error 1003)

Now that's a mouthful!

It turns out I wanted to combine OOP with dynamic thread allocation. I am trying to write a client/server program. The architecture I've opted for is an OOP approach which has a TCP listener that instantiates a new object of type "Client" upon connection. Then I use a state machine method of the Client class to handle the protocol as I've defined it for this particular application.

If any of that makes sense, you may be thinking - this is a good candidate for a VIT. I am also open to alternative methods, but what I've got works rather well right now.

I am using a VIT to launch each state machine as a new thread within the development environment. This makes sense because each client / state machine will be created at different times, we need to support multiple incoming connections, and those connections could end at any time. As a result, I used the VITs to dynamically copy the state machine class member VI.

It turns out that I was using bundle / unbundle of the class typedef (member data) inside the state machine VI. This causes dynamically created VIs from the VIT to have a broken run arrow. You must not use bundle/unbundle from within these VIs.

Workaround: Instead, use accessor methods and mutators to read and manipulate class member data.

Get in touch with me if you're curious to learn more about this.

Best,

Evan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,473 Views)

Aristos Queue and I had an exchange over this issue a while back. The behaviour you observed represents the "safe approach" to handling VITs and LVOOP.

That behaviour occurs even if the template is made a member of the calss library.

The core question is "Is a template created from the lbrary really a member of the library?"

The "Safe" approach closes loop-holes that would allow VIT's to be created either from within or outisde the libaray.

It sounds like you figured out the work-around "Use only public methods" in the VIT.

Since you are walking this ground could I ask a related Q?

What kind of memory usege per VIT instance are you seeing?

I ask becuase in an app that I developed that used a similar approach, the "memeory footprint" for each instance created limited the total number of instance to less than 200 instances.

What have you observed?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,350 Views)

Hi Ben,

I've seen your comment and I am taking the issue up with our AEs. You're right about the core question, but let me try to word it slightly differently: "is a VI dynamically created from a template within a class library really a member of the class library". I think that NI R&D has decided that the answer is no. This I'm guessing as you indicate has something to do with safety. I also understand that this behavior is designed, and expected. I would like to know why however. Not that I disagree, I just want to be better educated.

Also - to answer your question about memory footprint, I don't have any metrics right now. I am looking at a situation of having fewer than 15 instances of the VIT, so I doubt I'll be of much help to you.

Cheers,

Evan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,350 Views)

Hi Evan,

before you ping Aristos Queue, take a look at his reply (post # 26) in this thread on LAVA.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,350 Views)