FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW for FRC / FTC License Questions

Hi there,

I'm just not sure who to ask these questions to.  Hopefully I can get an answer here, or be directed to the right people to ask:

1. I was reviewing the FIRST license that comes with LabVIEW for FRC and for FTC.  From what I understand, we can install as many copies of LabVIEW as we want on as many computers as we want as long as they are being used in connection with FIRST competitions without having to purchase additional licenses.  Am I understanding the license correctly in this regard?

2. We are planning on conducting programming training this summer for FIRST participants.  I will be teaching LabVIEW programming for FRC and FTC in a classroom/lab setting, where we will be installing LabVIEW on several computers and using it to program NXT and cRIO hardware.  I will also install LabVIEW on my personal computer as the instructor for demonstrations and preparation of class material.  The main purpose of the class is to teach students the programming skills that they can use during upcoming FIRST robotics competitions.  There was mention in the license excluding use of the software "in a classroom or lab" and I just want to make sure that what we are planning on doing is allowed under the license agreement.

Here is the paragraph in question, taken from FIRST Team Competition License Agreement - English.rtf (from the FTC installation DVD):

B.    Use for Team Only; De-Activation. THE SOFTWARE MAY ONLY BE USED FOR PURPOSES OF A FIRST TEAM COMPETITION AND NOT FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, including, without limitation, use in a classroom or lab, research, professional, commercial, or industrial purposes. You hereby understand and agree that your license will automatically expire upon the conclusion or termination of your membership in a Team or should you stop being a Mentor or are no longer connected with FIRST; upon any such expiration, you must promptly uninstall all copies of the SOFTWARE from your applicable computer(s). As stated in Section 5 below (without limiting the generality thereof), this license may not be transferred. You also acknowledge and agree that the YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE RESULTS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. THE SOFTWARE CONTAINS CODE THAT WILL, AFTER A CERTAIN TIME PERIOD, DEACTIVATE THE SOFTWARE AND RENDER THE SOFTWARE UNUSABLE. ALTHOUGH THE SOFTWARE MAY WARN YOU OF THE TIME-FRAME IN WHICH IT WILL BE DISABLED, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE SOFTWARE MAY BE DEACTIVATED OR RENDERED UNUSABLE WITH OR WITHOUT WARNING. Upon such deactivation, this Agreement will be considered terminated.

Thank you,

David Aristizabal

Mentor, Newark Public Schools

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,144 Views)

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments!

It is correct that you should only install LabVIEW FRC on computers that are used for FRC related activities.  As long as you are not installing LabVIEW for a classroom setting that is not related to FRC you will be fine.  In fact, we strongly encourage teams to set up training sessions during the offseason just as you are planning.  I highly recommend getting in touch with other teams in your area as well to invite them to participate in the training session.  This would definitely be a way to work towards a chairman award.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this or if you need any assistance setting up the training session.  I look forward to hearing from you!  Have a great day!

Thanks!

Bob Hoffman

NI FIRST Support

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,225 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your quick response and thank you for all the support you provide to the FIRST community.  And yes, we are certainly including several teams in the class.  We may have participants from up to 9 schools in the Newark area.

Thanks,

David A.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,225 Views)

I recently talked to Steve Howell at NI and he stated that if you are using Lab view with the FIRST Tech Challenge (or any Fiirst Program)- Lab View can be installed on 25 computers. The above post does not give a specific number of computers?-so...

1. Can you confirm that the number of computers is correct?
  2. He also stated that the after the season, your licence reverts to 3 computers (office/home) if you choose to use the Lab View for non FIRST work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,225 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue up.  The licensing depends on the competition that you are involved with.

FTC is a 5 seat license (you can install on up to 5 computers).

FRC is a 20 seat license (you can install on up to 20 computers).

However, both licenses are for competition use only.  You can use LabVIEW in the offseason but it should only be used towards FIRST related activities (that includes training, projects for the FIRST team, etc).

Please let me know if you have any questions on this information and I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks!

Bob H

NI FIRST Support

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,225 Views)