About the NI cDAQ-9191
The NI cDAQ-9191 is a 1-slot NI Compact DAQ 802.11 Wi-Fi chassis that is combined with NI C Series measurement devices for small distributed sensor measurements. For more information on the NI cDAQ-9191, refer to NI cDAQ-9191 Manuals and NI 9215 Manuals at ni.com/products.
About the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display Mobile Application
The NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display for iOS lets you visualize and save data from an NI cDAQ-9191 chassis on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch with iOS 5.0 or later.
|Note The NI cDAQ-9191 requires a firmware upgrade to support the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display application. Go to NI cDAQ-9191 Firmware Upgrade for Mobile Device Support to download the firmware update.|
Supported C Series Devices
- NI 9215 (4-Channel, 100 kS/s/ch, 16-bit, ±10 V Analog Input C Series Device)
Configuring Your NI cDAQ-9191 Device for the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display Mobile Application
Configure the NI cDAQ-9191 chassis by completing the following steps:
- Update the chassis firmware before using the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display application for the first time.
- Configure the wireless network after updating the firmware and then only as needed.
|Note A computer running Windows or Mac OS X with Microsoft Silverlight is required to complete the setup process.|
Updating the Chassis Firmware
- Go to NI cDAQ-9191 Firmware Upgrade for Mobile Device Support to download the firmware file to your computer. Extract the zip file to a safe location.
- Launch your web browser.
- Type the IP address or host name of your NI cDAQ-9191 chassis into the web browser. If you do not know the IP address or host name of your NI cDAQ-9191 chassis, you can search for it using the NI Network Browser (available for download here).
- Select Firmware Updater.
- In the Select a file to upload field, browse to ni9191fw.cfg that you extracted in Step 1.
- Select Update Firmware.
- Force a firmware reload by pressing the Reset button on the backside of your NI cDAQ-9191 chassis for five seconds, until the Status LED lights.
Configuring the Wireless Network
- Launch your web browser.
- Type the IP address or host name of your NI cDAQ-9191 chassis into the web browser. The location of the IP address or host name of your device can be found on the bottom of the chassis, as shown in the figure below. If you do not know the IP address or host name of your NI cDAQ-9191 chassis, you can search for it using the NI Network Browser (available for download here).
- Select Network Configuration.
- Select Wireless Mode.
- Choose either Connect to wireless network or Create wireless network.
- Select the appropriate network from the Wireless Network drop down menu.
- Type a network name in the SSID input field if creating a wireless network.
- Select Save.
Downloading the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display Mobile Application
NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display is designed to run on any iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch with iOS 5.0 or later. Download the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display mobile application by completing the following:
- Connect to your preferred wireless network.
- Download the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display mobile application from the Apple App Store.
Device Type Download Link iPad
Using the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display Mobile Application
With NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display you can perform the following tasks:
- Select a device
- Configure an acquisition
- Acquire data
- View data
- Email data
|Note NI highly recommends connecting to your preferred wireless network while transmitting data with the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display mobile application.|
Selecting a Device
After starting NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display, you are prompted to select a device. You may select a real device or simulated device. Real devices on the local subnet are automatically added to the list as they are discovered. The following options are available for choosing the appropriate device:
- Select a device from the list provided.
- Select Other to select a device on a remote subnet.
- Select Simulated Device if no real devices are present.
|Note When the application relaunches, it automatically connects to the most recently used device. If the most recently used device is not present, the application may prompt you to choose a device again.|
Configuring an Acquisition
After the device is selected, you can configure the following acquisition settings:
- Samples—The number of points per channel that are acquired and displayed on screen. Select a higher number to see more data points.
- Rate—The frequency, in Hz, at which the points are acquired. Select a higher number to acquire data more quickly.
- Channels—The number of channels, one or more, that are acquired and displayed at the same time. Swipe any selected channel and tap Delete to remove a channel. Tap Select channels and tap desired channels to add more channels.
After the device is configured, you can acquire data in one of the following modes:
- Finite—Acquire the specified number of samples and then stop. Select Acquire Finite to start an acquisition.
- Continuous—Continuously acquire samples, displaying the most recent number of samples. Select Acquire Continuous to start an acquisition. Select Acquire Continuous again to stop an ongoing acquisition.
After data is acquired, you can view the data on the graph. The graph displays the most recently acquired data. You can zoom in by double tapping the graph. You can zoom out by single tapping the graph with two fingers. You can also zoom in and out by using pinch gestures. Swipe left, right, up, and down to pan the graph.
When acquiring data from multiple channels, you can temporarily hide a plot by tapping the corresponding plot legend. Tapping the plot legend again will show the plot.
To view a given plot value on the graph, tap and hold a plot to display the current X and Y value. Move your finger along the graph to update the current values.
After data is acquired, you can share the data using email by completing the following steps:
- Select Action.
- Select Mail.
- Compose email message.
- A screenshot and a comma separated value file are automatically attached to the mail.
- Select Send. If you want to discard the mail, select Cancel.
Developing Custom iOS Applications for the NI cDAQ-9191
After upgrading the firmware on your NI cDAQ-9191 you can also build custom applications that interact with an NI cDAQ-9191 through a Web API.
Feedback & Support
Please use the NI cDAQ-9191 Mobile Device Feedback and Support Discussion Thread to post any questions, comments, bug reports, or other relevant information.
NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display Mobile Application Licensing Information
Licensing information for the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display is available through the NI cDAQ-9191 Data Display for iOS Application Notices page.
For patents covering the National Instruments products/technology, refer to the National Instruments Patent Notice at ni.com/patents.