This example is an Engine Simulator that uses a combination of Shared Variables and Web services to display data on the dashboard. Inputs on the Data Dashboard are Throttle, Gear and Trip reset which, can be used to control the engine and trip counter respectively. The rest of the dashboard is made up of gauge, numeric and string indicators which are used to display the various engine variables. By manipulating the throttle and gear inputs you will see the engine's RPM and MPH change as well as the the turbo psi and engine oil temp rise. The display in the center displays time, current gear, engine horse power and torque (on overlapped graphs), engine running time in seconds and a trip time in seconds that can be rest. If the engine is left at maximum throttle for too long the oil temperature will rise and trigger the oil warning light.
- Unzip EngineSimulator.zip and open EngineSim.lvproj.
- Deploy the Engine Variables library by right-clicking on the library and selecting Deploy.
- Deploy the stats Web service by right-click on stats and selecting Build. After the building has completed right-click the Web service and select Deploy. The project should now be ready for your data dashboard connections.
There are two ways you can setup the dashboard in this example, the first is to use the Data Dashboard Retargeter Application and the second is described below.
- To connect this example Data Dashboard, Engine Simulator.lvdd. first, load the .lvdd file on to your iPad. You can either navigate to this example on your iPad and download the example directly or you can download the application to your computer and email it to your iPad.
- Once the loaded on your iPad you can open the Engine Simulator dashboard.
- For the dashboard to work with your computer you must point the controls, indicators and Web service calls to the computer you are running the LabVIEW application on.
- To map a control or indicator select the object on the dashboard and tap the data link icon. Then, choose Shared Variable and point to the correct variable in the library on your computer.
- To map a Web service select the Web service object on the dashboard and tap the Web link icon. Then, choose your host and correct Web method on your computer.
This example was built using LabVIEW 2012, you can download a trial version here.