Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidaqmxbase -- linux 64 bit

Hello,

I keep following the software releases and hope for the day, where I can use my USB-6008 on a current ubuntu. I've tried a lot of times but everytime some module wants another module where the precomiled object files are only 32 bit...

My current solution is a virtual machine with an ancient Suse, which reads out the device and fires the data through the network to localhost... This is disgusting and ugly, but works...

Now I stumbled upon the new nidaqmxbase where it says that 64 bit kernel support was added. What does that now mean?

I would really like to give it another try, if there is a hint that I might succeed... So my question is:

What modules are needed to get a C application running on a 64-bit system which interacts with the usb-6008 device?

In my virtual machine it looks like that:

nipxirmk          115082  1
nidimk            321687  2 nipxirmk
niorbk             95523  2 nipxirmk,nidimk
nipalk           1222560  5 nipxirmk,nidimk,niorbk
nikal              75951  1 nipalk

Do I need all these? I mean, there is a noarch version of nikal and 64 bit versions of nivisa, nipal, but the rest is all 32-bit (or i386)...

Actually, all I want is to read analog values... I'm desperate...

Btw.: Is Kernel 3.0 support planned?

Best regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,946 Views)

While nikal will support 3.0 kernel, I don't think it'll help you access USB. You can potentially access it via daqmxbase.

Related thread:  https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/31331#31331

Is daqmxbase not working for you? I don't personally handle daqmxbase, so I don't know exactly what you need there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,734 Views)

me0 wrote:

Now I stumbled upon the new nidaqmxbase where it says that 64 bit kernel support was added. What does that now mean?

I would really like to give it another try, if there is a hint that I might succeed... So my question is:

What modules are needed to get a C application running on a 64-bit system which interacts with the usb-6008 device?

In my virtual machine it looks like that:

nipxirmk          115082  1
nidimk            321687  2 nipxirmk
niorbk             95523  2 nipxirmk,nidimk
nipalk           1222560  5 nipxirmk,nidimk,niorbk
nikal              75951  1 nipalk

Do I need all these? I mean, there is a noarch version of nikal and 64 bit versions of nivisa, nipal, but the rest is all 32-bit (or i386)...

Hi Markus,

Those modules are required for VISA to communicate with PCI/PCIe devices. VISA installs support for both PCI/PCIe and USB devices and does not allow individual installation for each bus. Since DAQmx Base uses VISA for device I/O, you need them even though USB device communication over VISA doesn't use them.

DAQmx Base 3.5 [1] did indeed add support for 64-bit kernels. What this means is DAQmx Base includes both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel modules instead of only 32-bit kernel modules. However, the universal bitness stops at the kernel -- the user-mode libraries (libnidaqmxbase.so et al) are still 32-bit. This means you will need 32-bit system libraries as well (glibc.so and libstdc++.so are the bare minimum).

Finally, DAQmx Base still does not support Ubuntu -- the most recent distributions that the driver supports are RHEL 6 and openSuSE 11.3, and the only 64-bit distributions supported are RHEL 5 and RHEL 6. All of the distribution information is available in the readme [2].

[1] NI DAQmx Base 3.5

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2893/lang/en

[2] NI DAQmx Base 3.5 readme

http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmxbase/3.5/Linux/README.txt

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,734 Views)

I was wondering if the support for 64-bit kernels has changed with daqmx base 3.6. I've been trying to install it on Scientific Linux 6.4 x86_64, and it hasn't been working very well. Is this supported at all?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,734 Views)

Are you having different problems than what you posted here?

Error compiling examples from DAQmx Base 3.6 on Scientific Linux 6.4 x86_64

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-compiling-examples-from-DAQmx-Base-3-6-on-Scientific-Linux/m-p...

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,734 Views)