From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using C & C++ in LabView

The tutorial, Using Existing C Code or a DLL in LabVIEW, does an excellent job of explaining how to include C functions into a VI via a DLL. I would like to use the same DLL, but with C++ Classes as well. Does anyone know how to do this?

Rob Steele

Message 1 of 10
(67,337 Views)

You will be able to call C++ dlls in LabVIEW, provided that they only use primitive data types. I would recommend you to look at the following resources for detailed information on calling external code in LabVIEW:

1. How Do I Call a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) from LabVIEW?

2. Using External Code in LabVIEW

I hope this helps!

Mehak Dinesh
Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Mehak D.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(33,576 Views)

My desire was to be able to access a C++ class and it's methods directly. From my reading of the documentation it appears that I can do this by buidling a C wrapper which calls the method I am interested in. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(33,576 Views)

Yep. You will need to build wrappers

Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(33,576 Views)

The good news is that I can use my working C and C++ code and call call it from labView. The bad news, is that the C++ code must be wrapped within C functions.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(33,576 Views)

My goal was to do my vision code and signal processing code through labview and have it give the data to some localization code I wrote in C++. Does this mean I cant use the full capabilities of C++ such as classes and methods?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(33,576 Views)

You can still use all of your functionality, but how you access is , in my opinion, a little contrived. What I did to use my C++ code was to instantiate the C++ objects in the dllmain. From there I built C wrappers which called my functions. When I had to pass in data structures I had to build C wrappers to handle bundling and unbundling the primitive data types. For me, I was using the functions in the standard template library for sorting that I wanted to continue to use. After i made the committment to use the wrapper functions things went very easy.

One thing I did do was to build vi's that would wrap one or two of the C++ methods. This way I only replicated what looked like standard vi's through my application and I did not have the "Call Library Function Node" directly visible on my 'high level' vi's.

Rob Steele

Message 7 of 10
(33,576 Views)

nice information

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(33,576 Views)

Hey,

I've been taking a programing class (Just BASIC and C++) this past semester.  Where is a good place to start looking for how to code the robot using C++ ?

Thanks,

Davis Catherman

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(33,576 Views)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(33,576 Views)