FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling LabVIEW

I have a need to temporarily uninstall LabVIEW, but it only progresses so far and then pauses. This left sitting for over two hours, and I cancelled the installation. Now every time I try to remove it, it either gives me errors (1601 and 1618) or doesn't progress at all. Tech support refuses to even help uninstall over the phone, so does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(29,760 Views)

Hello Gravitron.

I was actually the one who spoke with you on the phone this morning about the support for uninstalling LabVIEW. I am in inside sales and not actually in technical support. I spoke with some of our FRC group and they said that it was ok, if you are having installation issues to patch you in with our support group. Please call into 1.800.433.3488 and ask for technical support. You will likely get bounced to sales as you would be new to the database and we could route you over manually for this LabVIEW installation issue. As long as this is not related to FIRST competition specific issues, you will be able to receive help on the installation.

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,902 Views)

Hi Graviton,

I am an Applications Engineer (technical supporter) who supports the LabVIEW FRC software as well as LabVIEW itself. I can offer my support through this forum or over the phone, as Stormchaser1 has referenced.

If you elect to solve this issue through this forum, here are a few questions for you:

1) Did you install the software with administrator privileges?

2) Did you uninstall the software with administrator privileges?

3) What operating system are you running?

4) Did you save LabVIEW to any non-default directory during installation?

5) When you uninstalled, what was the process you followed?

6) Was any of the software running when uninstallation began?

7) Do you have any other National Instruments software on the computer?

Regards,

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,902 Views)

Thanks both of you for your prompt responses. I got it working by repairing it and then using the license manager (All it originally said to do was put the license in the certain folder) to activate it. That worked and everything is fine. Great tech support there and thank you so much.

--Sean

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,902 Views)

Good.  Glad to see you got your answer.  So now my question won't be a thread hijacker ...

I  am about to install the 8.5.1 version for FIRST, over an expired installation of the 30-day eval copy of 8.6.  The computer is a WinVista64 HP laptop.

In the control panel to remove the NI software, there are 3 entries:  NI LabVIEW 8.6, NI LabWindows/CVI 8.1.1 Run-Time Engine and NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.5.

Should I remove all 3 of these entries before I install 8.5.1?  I know that I'll remove the 8.6 entry, but I'm wondering about the other 2.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,901 Views)

Hi MarcL,

Generally, when installing newer versions of National Instruments software, you don't need to worry about the older versions being on your computer.  However, when you install a lower version, it's a very good idea to completely uninstall the newer versions.

Since the LabVIEW FRC software includes drivers specific to itself, I would recommend uninstalling the following software components from your computer before installing the LabVIEW FRC software.

• NI-RIO driver
  • LabVIEW Real-Time module
  • NI-IMAQ driver
  • LabVIEW 8.5.1

In your circumstance, you wouldn't have to necessarily uninstall anything.

I hope this helps,

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,901 Views)

So, if I understand correctly ... for now ... the "old" installation of 8.6 doesn't interfere with a "new" installation of 8.5.1.  (but I'll probably remove all 3 entries before 8.5.1 anyway)

Then, when my team receives our KoP copies of the official FRC version, I should un-install all of the 8.5.1 stuff before installing the official FRC version.

Got it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,901 Views)

I have the same problem.  I installed the 30 day evaluation version on my laptop for the training conducted for FTC teams at ASU and now I cannot uninstall it from my machine.  You asked the following questions -here are my answers:

If you elect to solve this issue through this forum, here are a few questions for you:

1) Did you install the software with administrator privileges? YES

2) Did you uninstall the software with administrator privileges? YES

3) What operating system are you running? XP

4) Did you save LabVIEW to any non-default directory during installation? NO

5) When you uninstalled, what was the process you followed? Used the Add/Remove Program in Control Panel

6) Was any of the software running when uninstallation began? NO

7) Do you have any other National Instruments software on the computer? NO

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,902 Views)

Hi TeamCaution,

First off, what have you done thus far with regards to installing/uninstalling/repairing?

Have you already tried what Graviton posted as his/her solution?

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,902 Views)

I have attempted to use the add/remove app to remove LabVIEW.  I turned off all of the firewall apps as well as stopped all NI processes that were running in the background before attempting to do the uninstall.  I also tried to Repair the install and then uninstall it.  I am trying to just remove the app from my personal laptop permanantly.  I'm not really interested in repairing the app.  The copy on my laptop was only there so I could attend some training at ASU.  We will be using the team laptop for development from now on.  BTW, did you see my other post on a download issue?  You replied so fast (thank you!) that I thought you might have some insight on that issue also.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,902 Views)