Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three-Level(12 switch) Converter Switching using SVPWM

Hi All ,

I have been coding on FPGA for three-level converter switching. It has couple of errors . I just want to validate my code. How, I don't know.
Can anyone tell me if NI has any build-in block for three-level NPC converter PWM generation for FPGAs.

Regards,

AAK.

Message 1 of 17
(16,915 Views)

Hello

I am Having the same problem here; I want to make a Three-Level  inverter which has 12 Transistors/Switches, prefferebly with SVPWM method, but I also need some hints.

Could you find anything regarding "Three-Level(12 switch) Converter Switching using SVPWM" ?! Could you please share your findings/simulations?!

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Hi ,

The best hint is you have to write your own code for FPGA. There is no help anywhere. Try understanding the commutation of switches properly . If you only want simulations on labview without talking to FPGA, you can do co-simulation. I can send you a Multisim file with built-in pulse generator for 3-level converter.

AAK.

Message 3 of 17
(8,900 Views)

I understand. Well; I will probably need to do it in FPGA too anyway, I guess there is no escape of that!

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Sorry dude. I think i can only help you leter, lets say june 2013. Get back to me if you can wait. akrama.khan@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Thank You man,

I will certainly get in touch to see how things are going and share experience...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Most Welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Hey guys,

Here's an approach that should make your work straightforward. I'd recommend using the Space Vector Modulation block included with the NI SoftMotion Module as a starting point. This is a LabVIEW add on module sold by NI. Then modify the vector table to match the three-level neutral-clamped inverter. Here's a screenshot of the standard block with the vector table configured for a standard 2-level, three-phase full-bridge voltage-source inverter.

NI SoftMotion - Space Vector Modulation.png

You can find a complete field-oriented control example with SVPWM in the SoftMotion example project titled "Servo Interface (9514).lvproj".

Servo Interface (9514).png

Here's a screenshot of the LabVIEW FPGA control application in which the FOC and SVPWM blocks are included.

Velocity FOC FPGA.png

I'd recommend purchasing this book, which has a great treatment of the topic for both the two-level and three-level topologies in Chapter 1. My advisor, Ramu Krishnan, is one of the editors. The book has a great, concise treatment of many modern power converter control strategies, including energy optimal control.

Control in Power Electronics: Selected Problems

Marian P. Kazmierkowski (Editor), Ramu Krishnan (Editor), Frede Blaabjerg (Editor), J. D. Irwin (Series Editor)

Here are some excerpts with SVPWM vectors for 2-level and 3-level NPC inverters.

32-33 Control in Power Electronics- Selected Problems - Space Vectors for 3-Ph 2 and 3 Level Inverters.png

34-35 Control in Power Electronics- Selected Problems - Space Vectors for 3-Ph 2 and 3 Level Inverters.png

36-37 Control in Power Electronics- Selected Problems - Space Vectors for 3-Ph 2 and 3 Level Inverters.png

38-39 Control in Power Electronics- Selected Problems - Space Vectors for 3-Ph 2 and 3 Level Inverters.png

You can validate your LabVIEW FPGA code using the Multisim 3-Phase Inverter, 3-Level NPC example that's included in the Power Electronics Design Guide. You'll need to set it to the Co-Simulation Variant as shown below, and then you can control it from LabVIEW using your SVPWM block.

3-level NPC LabVIEW.png

Here is a direct link to download the Multisim file shown above.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Message 8 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Brian, Thank you for your help and also the book suggestion; fortuanately my University has a Subscription to Science Direct database and this book is readable over there!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(8,900 Views)

Hi Saeed !! How is it going with your switching ??

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(8,900 Views)