[IDLE] Central Texas LabVIEW User Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Topic for next meeting: Code Repository

How much interest is there in discussing code repositories and maintaining and distributing "released code" ?

I have found that I can end up spending time on these issues, especially if I want to work on the source code at two or more locations, and my client doesn't use a repository application.

My thoughts would be for 3 - 4 of the group to discuss/present some solutions or tips/tricks or administrative techniques that make saving and modifying code, with clients/team members/managers more solid and less painful.

Mark

pb130222.gif

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(16,031 Views)

Sounds great Mark.  Let's discuss this at the conclusion of the UGM tomorrow.

We'll have an open time to propose topics & encourage presenters (volunteers welcome!) for the next mtg.

Will love to see/hear the group's response... Thx! -drew

Drew Pierce | District Manager, Central Texas | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(10,291 Views)

If a customer does not have a repository, I have to use my own, if they don't want to have a repository and not use Source Code Control then I will not work with them. Source code control is crucial!

I think this would be a great topic and I like the idea of doing more as a discussion.

Here is a true story I used to ilustrate the importance of Source Code Control:

SCCandMaritalStatus.PNG

See you Wednesday!

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(10,291 Views)

I would love to see this topic explored more.  I am especially interested in any experience anyone has had with LabVIEW and distributed source code control (e.g. git or mercurial).  Looking forward to it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(10,291 Views)

Bump!  Looking form more interested parties that would like to give some of their code repository experiences in a round table format with 3 - 5 others.   The ext meetign is comign up soon, so send or post your interests.

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(10,291 Views)

You know I love to talk I can help with this if you want or I can give a chance to others who have not presented yet.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(10,291 Views)

I can be on the panel. This would be Thursday the 21st correct?

Charles

Charles Chickering
Architecture is art with rules.

...and the rules are more like guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(10,291 Views)

Yes, Next Thursday

• A short list of topics to be asked is below.  Depending on the total participants in the panel the number of questions that can be covered will vary. 

• Answers should be "tuned" to about 2 minutes per person.

• Format will be round table.

1)Name of favorite repository.

2)One best practice for using the repository with LabVIEW.  Is this different because LabVIEW is not Text based?  Is this a work around because LabVIEW is not "supported" by the repository?

For example, Does your repository branch and can it merge LabVIEW?

3) How important are the comments used when updating source?

4) Do you use labels or some other marker for released application  (not just a VI , but the application level)

5) Do you like to use branching, are there some pitfalls?

6) Do you share the code base with other developers?   Does the repository support your team practices or do you have some work arounds?

7) How well does it support you working at different locations?

😎 Describe one pain point in your favorite repository

9) Describe one winning quality of your repository

Please comment on these questions or add as desired.

Reply with your interest to be in the round table and/or send me or Drew an email.  We are really looking to get more of the group talking, especially those who might be new to using Repositories! 

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(10,291 Views)

Sorry I will miss it. I will be out of town the week of November 18.

I will miss you

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(10,291 Views)

As an Engineer/programmer, not an engineer/Programmer some really basic questions that come to my mind.

Respects to Fabiola, but as a non-SCC , individual , occasional 'programmer', and maybe not the target audience of the Austin UG, what's a Repository, and why should I care? 

It seems obvious to me that 'hello world' doesn't qualify as benefiting from SCC (unless you're gonna thoroughly geek out on it with bells and whistles).  When does this become useful? (follow up to above)

What security is available?  Mostly I've seen repositories for FOSS development.  I'm assuming it's available, but I don't see it mentioned.  Is it by user permissions?  Encryption?  Shredded and burned every night?

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(10,291 Views)