NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Labview 6.1 on Windows XP

Our company has a number of plasma vapour deposition machines that have an HMI made in Labview 6.1.   Our machine computers are running on Windows 2000.   We want to upgrade the PCs and install Windows XP Professional.   When we do this correctly, we should be able to use the existing runtime.   We are not having any luck.   Does anyone have any documentation on how to properly install Labview 6.1?  Tech support is unable to help us (knowone there is familiar with 6.1).   Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin Downe

Automation Engineer

MDS Coating Technologies Corp

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,010 Views)

I used LabVIEW 6.1 extensively on Windows XP with no issues.  It is officially supported.  And while it is not officially supported, it should run on newer versions of Windows, as well.  That said, what, in particular, is the problem?  Have you tried installing just the 6.1 runtime?  Finally, for completeness, are you sure the LabVIEW version of the GUI is 6.1?  If it was compiled with a different version, it would not work.  Is it compiled or is it running in the dev environment?

Message 2 of 9
(3,858 Views)

Labview 6.1 runs fine on Windows XP. I'm not sure about SP3, but it will run fine on SP2. Most likely your problem is missing hardware driver VIs. Are you running runtime app only? Do you have the source files to create runtime apps? What does the XP device manager say about your hardware installed? Are there any missing drivers? Check XP event logs. Application, Security and System logs. Something should pop up checking these things.

Message 3 of 9
(3,858 Views)

Sorry to take long to get back to you guys.

OK, this system we are working with was written by a third party and they have made executables for us.  We have no structure diagrams and will not provide them.   The system runs on Windows 2000.  We want to upgrade to XP.  My goal is to install 6.1+DSC+runtime engine in this computer.  So I installed the 3 components.  On the working computers, we need only double click on the Vi called Topstart.   When we do this now, we get these errors:

These last two are explained because the computer is not on the proper domain and RSLinx is not set up to provide the OPC server.   It is the first two erros that we get that I dont understand.  There is a directory on C called Program Parts.  This is where all the NI code is.  There are no files of these names on the computers that work.  

There are no other hardware devices that should have to be configured as we get all IO from a controllogix 5000 PLC.  The RSLinx OPC server provides all this.

One of you mentioned trying to install the RT engine.  I did,  However, when I try to run the app, it fails and the Labview dev screen is there.  Does anyone know if there is something I need to do to tell Labview that I want to use the runtime engine?  Maybe this is the problem?

Thansk everyone for your help.   I am very appreciative.

Kevin Downe

MDS Coating Technologies Corp

(902) 888-3900

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,858 Views)

Your errors did not make it into your post.  Could you add them?

In the meantime, all LabVIEW executable programs use an INI file, named the same as the executable and located next to it.  It can contain all sorts of things that make or break the code.  Check to ensure it is identical on the systems that work and the new systems.  In particular, look for search paths.

When your errors are posted, we can make more targetted suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,858 Views)

I see the images that I tried to post did not show up.  Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me try to run this RT on their Labview 6.1?   One thing that I found out is that the "program start" icon is a VI.  So it does require the  full Labview installation.   Maybe I can send the files to someone to look at?   Even to send the Topstart.vi.  If someone understands what it does, it might lead me in the right direction?  If someone sends me an email, I can send this Topstart.vi first.

Thanks.

Kevin Downe

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,858 Views)

You can attach files to your postings in this format.  Just posting the Topstart.vi will leave us with a broken VI, so you really should post everything.  I would recommend zipping the set of files and posting.  This assumes you can post your code publically.  You can also contact your local NI representative for more help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,858 Views)

If you don't have the development files, you might not get enough information to fix it. If you do, Labview will tell you exactly what's wrong.

Another solution is  to image the windows 2000 PC, restore it to another PC with similar hardware and then upgrade that PC to windows XP.

This should work providing the PC image will start the new PC. If the MOBO hardware is significantly different. It might not start from the old PC image.

It's definately worth a try and maybe faster then looking for that needle in the haystack.

You can email me the files or errors to eggharbor@eggharborinc.com

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,858 Views)

We have already been able to use Acronis to image the old computer and run it under XP.   We did have some glitches in the test system so we scrapped it.  I dont like images.  They are not so safe.  We are aerospace copany.  I really feel strongly that we need to know how to construct the PC from the ground up.  I am going to see if I can post the whole project.

Thanks

Kevin Downe

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,858 Views)