Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Quick Drop remember the last search term?

Inspired by this Idea Exchange entry, I'm thinking about making a change to Quick Drop in LabVIEW 2014 to have it remember your previous search term (within a given LabVIEW session) when launched. This allows you to have quick access to all the same search results on subsequent launches of Quick Drop. The search term will be highlighted, so you can just immediately start typing if you're not interested in the previous search results.

Do y'all think this is a good change to make? Can you think of any downsides to this idea?

Message 1 of 6
(8,698 Views)

After thinking about this for awhile, I'm not sure.  If I need to drop down duplicates of a function, I just use a Ctrl+Drag to duplicate.  Where I could see this idea useful is with the Replace.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(3,754 Views)

I agree with crossrulz!

This would be great for the Quick Drop "Replace" functionality.

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,754 Views)

Another plus from me. I don't see any drawbacks.

The best advantage here for me will be to be able to type in a library name and repeatedly be shown the list of contained functions each recall of QD. The replace function, as crossrulz points out, and also Insert.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,754 Views)

I assume that when y'all are mentioning the Replace and Insert use cases, you're referring to having to do replace/insert across different diagrams/subdiagrams? Because Quick Drop Replace and Quick Drop Insert currently work just fine with multi-selection of visible code on the same block diagram. You can select multiple objects on the same diagram, and do a Ctrl-P replace of all of them in a single operation, and you can select multiple wires on the same diagram, and do a Ctrl-I insert on all of them in a single operation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,754 Views)

Yup. I use this frequently for Inserting a function on multiple wires in multiple places on the same block diagram. But when inheriting a large project, you might find yourself navigating many multiple VIs and inserting new functionality in numerous scattered locations.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,754 Views)