From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Orange County LabVIEW Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview to run machinery via OPC with PLC's

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, but I have a few questions.

1. I am considering switching to Labview to control our machine in real time. I usued Labview a fair amount in College and was a CLAD at one point. I am more comfortable with LabView than with PLC programming, hence my desire to switch. I know there will be a learning curve, but I wanted some overall feedback on the idea. Is it worth the effort to switch over? One of the main reasons behind trying to go this route is to be able to program, troubleshoot, and fix issues in house. What do you all think?

2. If I go forward with this project, I will need some help from someone that has experience in this area. Are there Architects in this area that I could pay to come advise, or should I just try and go through NI?

Thanks for your help. I haven't been to a meeting yet, but it's because I just moved down here. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

-Lane Davidson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,339 Views)

Hello Lane,

Good questions.

1. The use of LabVIEW and NI controllers (cRIO, cFieldPoint, etc) are a good replacement should you wish to upgrade your systems to something which offers the use of LabVIEW for development as well as troubleshooting. I've personally used NI solutions within automation systems as well as field production systems and have not been disappointed. There are a number of ways to communicate with other 3rd party PLCs, some of which are a) OPC Servers (NI sells one and you can also use other 3rd party servers) and b) Ethernet/IP protocol which most AB/Rockwell PLCs comply with.

2. Calling into NI might be helpful, but it's my experience that if you find other similar-minded professionals with the experience you need in the area, that's probably the better way to go.

Let me know if you'd like to further discuss.

-J.C..

Juan Carlos Flores

ArchonWest Technologies, Inc.

http://www.archonwest.com

-----
Juan Carlos Flores
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,907 Views)

Jaun Carlos,

I do need to find out more about all of this. I am the only mechanical engineer and only person with any kind of experience with PLC's and LabView in our company. We are currently reassembling a press that we brought down from Washington. The PLC's currenlty control electric motors with piston pumps on them and they also control all of the cylinders and all of the movement of the machine. The automated sequence is fairly simple at this point, but I would like to improve it, hence my interest in Labview as a development and troubleshooting platform. One of the big questions is whether or not the initial setup cost of switching over, buying a license, etc is worth the investment for this application. Also, I am basically alone on this project and realize that I probably need some help from an Architect or at least someone in industry that has done something similar in order to be successful. That's why I'm here.

What do you recommend?

-Lane

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,907 Views)

Hi Lane,

I recommend you meet with your local NI Field Sales Engineer in the area (are you in SoCal Orange County?). Meeting with them and an NI Alliance Member <shamelessplug> such as ArchonWest Technologies </shamelessplug> will give you some good insight into better forecasting the resources you'll need to make the decision on how to proceed with your project.

Let me know if need help pinpointing how to contact your local NI Field Sales Engineer.

-J.C.

Juan Carlos Flores

-----
Juan Carlos Flores
Message 4 of 5
(3,907 Views)

Hi Lane,

I wanted to add to JC's response.  If you are looking for help in programming or integrating a PLC like system with LabVIEW then an alliance member such as JC can help with all or part of that process. 

I also wanted to make sure you were aware of your local NI resources in case you need help in selecting the right hardware to replace a PLC.  This can also be done by our alliance members who work with us closely as they propose solutions. 

Orange County NI contacts:

Andy Hertzka, Field Sales Engineer, National Instruments

andy.hertzka@ni.com

Zach Olson, Strategic Account Manager, National Instruments   

zach.olson@ni.com

714-602-8618

Thanks and Best Regards,

Zach Olson

Message 5 of 5
(3,907 Views)