Volume License Agreement Community Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Initiated Silent SpecFile Group Installation

Another software release, Developer Suite 2014 DS1, has arrived and I am still unable to setup silent-custom installations as I'd like.  And, once again, I'll promise myself to get this figured out prior to the next software release.  I've read many KB articles but none seem to include all the details necessary to accomplish my goals and many have details that conflict with details contained in others.

My goals are to setup a silent-custom installation for each Group in our VLA.  This will likely be accomplished using Specfile(s) for each group, to include selected Device Drivers.  My goal would be to send an email with each release that would include a link for a manual installation and second link for an silent installation.  I'd like end users to be able to start either installation prior to leaving work one day and return to a completed installation the next.  Currently, the manual installation doesn't allow for selecting Device Drivers up front and I'm uncertain if I can configure the specific device drivers for each group using a Specfile.

I'd love to know if others have successfully provided this functionality for their users.

Thanks for any suggestions or examples.

Regards,

James

PS.  I'm not an IT guru, but a LabVIEW programmer turned VLA Administrator.

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
Message 1 of 3
(4,935 Views)

James,

I know this is an old post... but better late than never. 

When I create my LabVIEW installers, I have left the Device Drivers out of the main installer.  I customize both the applications and device drivers separately and install the device drivers right after the applications.  I customize both using the "/generatespecfile" switch on their respective setups:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/c361087ee9f20810862577850073128e

hope this helps,

Scott

Message 2 of 3
(4,051 Views)

Thanks Scott,

I used the NI Batch Installer Builder to include all installers in a single installer.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-batch-installer-builder-15.0/5193/en/

This allowed me to include the NI VeriStand & Device Driver installers.  I didn't pursue the silent install or custom install by group.  However, this tool allowed me to create an installer that didn't require additional user interaction after the initial configuration and start of the install.

And, since then, we moved to an Enterprise Agreement and IT has assumed this responsibility. 

Thanks again,

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,051 Views)