Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependencies that just won't go away

Hi,  I have a recurring problem that is very annoying regarding dependencies in my AF based projects.  If I open an example AF project at the same time as my project, and I accidentally drag a VI from the example into my active project, I get a dependency on the example project that will never go away.    For instance, one of the examples I downloaded installed itself in my user.lib and appears in the pallet.  I forgot what it was today and dropped a VI from the pallet into my project to figure out what it was.  Once I figured out what it was I deleted the VI, however my project now shows dependencies on every library that is in the example project.  When I search for callers of the libraries in question the only callers are other things under "My Computer/Dependencies".    How can I get rid of these fake dependencies?    Thanks.

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,671 Views)

If you close your project and reopen it, are those dependencies gone? If so, it's likely not a bug -- once you load a child class into memory, if its ancestor class is in use within your actual project, we hold the child class in memory because it looks like it is possibly needed by all the dynamic dispatch nodes that could dispatch out to it. We've debated pruning those, but often we have to keep them because there are objects of the type in memory, and it created some really weird rules for when it would stay and when it would leave when we tried the pruning.

If those dependencies are coming back when you close and reopen the project, that means one of your source files actually picked up a reference to one of those dependencies. The procedure in that case is to right click on an item under Dependencies and choose "Why Is This Item In Dependencies?" That will jump you to the thing that is keeping it around. Repeat that until you find something that is actually in your project, then edit that thing to remove the dependency.

Or LabVIEW has a bug. If neither of the above help you, you may need to submit a bug report through the main LabVIEW forum or your support portal of choice.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,359 Views)

The dependencies are still there after closing and opening the project.  Unfortunately, the "Why is this item in dependencies?" option does not appear for any libraries, classes, or member VIs under the dependencies list.  Is there another way to interrogate them?

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,359 Views)

You should be able to right click on the library in the dependencies and select "find callers" if you are not getting the "why is this item in dependencies?"

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,359 Views)

I've never seen that happen. Hm...

If you delete those dependencies from disk and then open your project, does it search for the missing files? If so... what breaks when you don't find them?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,359 Views)

Using "find callers" shows only items under Dependencies.  I renamed the root directory for the sample project and the dependencies disappeared.  There were no errors in the list when I reloaded the project.  I changed the directory name back to the original and reloaded the project and the dependencies were still gone.  The good news is that now know how to force them to take a hike.

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,359 Views)

Which version of LV are you using? I keep having some very strange effects on a 2012SP1 F5 installation which result in frequent crashes and screwed up projects...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,359 Views)

I'm running 12.0f3

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,359 Views)

testingHotAir wrote:

The good news is that now know how to force them to take a hike.

It is good news, but I would like you to still file a support ticket if you don't mind sharing your code. The behavior you describe just shouldn't happen.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,359 Views)

Oli_Wachno wrote:

Which version of LV are you using? I keep having some very strange effects on a 2012SP1 F5 installation which result in frequent crashes and screwed up projects...

I too have had some wierd issues happen when selecting "why is this item in dependencies".  I was in LV 2013, and it would hard crash labview directly to the desktop, i was never able to figure out why but it went away at some point after i moved some things around.  Not sure if they are related, but dependencies can be a pain sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,359 Views)