Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

actors, data, and read loops

Hi,

I'm beginning to go around in circles, so I thought maybe someone could break me out of the loop

I have a main actor (call it display) that calls a number of other actors (call them 2D Graphs). The number of 2D graphs can change any time. I also have a separate read QSM in the display, that when activated reads in increments from a certain file and send the data in chunks to the 2D graphs. the flow goes like this: user presses a button in display, the button event sends a "Start" to the read queue, read queue initializes and sends read messages to itself until done, then closes the file and waits. Every read it also sends the data to the 2DGraphs.

My question is, how to pass the 2DGraph actor refs to the read loop? It needs to have them so that it can send them the data, and in order to know how much to read (the amount of data read is dependent on the number of 2DGraphs). I can't just send them to the read loop once as the number of 2D graph actors can change any time.

The options I've considered are:

1. Making the 2D Graph actor array a DVR. This is less elegant in my opinion, but seems the simplest option.

2. Making the read loop a separate actor, that receives messages that update the actor array, and messages to read data. I can make the update actor array message high priority I suppose, though I haven't really used high priority messages until now, so I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. This means duplicating the 2DGraph actor array in two actors, display and reader. This seems wasteful and complicated.

3. Make the reader loop an actor, and make the actor array a new actor (2D Manager), and have the reader actor subscribe to changes in the Manager. This is even more complicated and probably overkill.

4. reader loop sends all the data to main loop, main loop gets from it only the data it needs and sends data to 2DGraphs. This will cause multiple copies of the data and slow down the response time.

5. Have every 2D graph read its own data. This means that 5 different actors will be reading from the same file (in different locations) at the same time. I think it will slow the read.

See? Circles. Any advice?

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,170 Views)

—> (4)  The User will not notice the microseconds lost.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,227 Views)

drjdpowell wrote:

—> (4)  The User will not notice the microseconds lost.

Agreed. If that is actually a performance problem, slight modification would be to have the main loop send the reader loop a filter, the reader loop runs the filter on the data and then sends only the filtered data up to the main loop. But I'd only make that modification if the first solution proposed is actually a performance problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,227 Views)

Thanks for answering!

I was more worried about memory issues than response time, actually. If I send the data to the main loop using an event, I could get a buildup of events with this data causing high memory consumption. The amount of data is on the order of 500x100x32 doubles, every second, if unfiltered. If filtered, it would be 500x100x4. I could also store it in 32 single element queues and pass the references around. That would prevent a number of copies.

However, there will be other actions the user can do at this time, won't handling this in the event loop slow down the response time more than microseconds?

Thanks,

Danielle

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,227 Views)

Be wary of the trap of premature optimization.  Do it the clean and simple way, then benchmark it.  If you then have a problem, recode a more complex way, while rerunning the benchmark to see if you are actually gaining anything.

Message 5 of 10
(4,227 Views)

drjdpowell wrote:

Be wary of the trap of premature optimization.  Do it the clean and simple way, then benchmark it.  If you then have a problem, recode a more complex way, while rerunning the benchmark to see if you are actually gaining anything.

This.  Know what your performance requirements are, benchmark to verify they're being met, and use benchmark data to identify the (hopefully few) hotspots that require 'fancy' design.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
Message 6 of 10
(4,227 Views)

MattP wrote:

drjdpowell wrote:

This.  Know what your performance requirements are, benchmark to verify they're being met, and use benchmark data to identify the (hopefully few) hotspots that require 'fancy' design.

Keep it simple, make it work then make it more performant/fast

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,227 Views)

dsavir wrote:

However, there will be other actions the user can do at this time, won't handling this in the event loop slow down the response time more than microseconds?

For UI interactions, you have up to 2 *milli* seconds before it becomes human noticeable, and most UI designers that NI has treat "fast response" as up to 10 milliseconds. That's enough time for many very complex computations.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,227 Views)

Thanks all of you for the great advice! I was overthinking the entire issue (and falling into the trap of premature optimization ). Thanks for the reality call!

Danielle

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,227 Views)

Don't worry - premature optimization happens to everyone.  It's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Message 10 of 10
(4,227 Views)