From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abstract Messages Example

Does anyone have an example of using Abstract Messages to decouple actors?

I have not used this method of decoupling actors from one another. Instead, I create an Abstract Actor and make the message VIs Dynamic Dispatch. I wanted to evaluate the Abstract Messages, but did want to generate a bunch of code.

Thanks

Brian G. Shea
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,233 Views)

Is this what you are looking for? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,867 Views)

I will take a look at it. Thank you very much.

I'm working on an NI Week presentation and want to illustrate methods for decoupling actors for building Packed Project Libraries. Would you mind if I referenced this code?

Brian G. Shea
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,867 Views)

If you like it feel free to reference it.  If you have any suggestions for improvements let me know, I'm always interested in feedback.

Whats the title of your NI Week presentation? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,867 Views)

So far it illustrates exactly what i tought it would. I'm not critizing your code, it is perfect in it's nature. What I'm going to question is the use of Abstract Messages in larger Applciations.

Here is my take on the method:

For every Message that needs to be abstracted create an Abstract Message Class. For every actor that needs to receive that message, create a child of the abstract message.

So, if I have 10 Abstract Messages that are handled by 10 Actors, there will be 120 Classes? 10 parent message classes and 100 child message classed, plus 10 Actor classes.

Is that a correct assesment?

I will illustrate the Abstract Actor method in a later post. I will provide a basic project like you have as well.

Once that is complete, we can then discuss the performace of each to see which will fair better in larger applications.

Thanks

Brian G. Shea
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,867 Views)

As a one to one comparison, I'm goign to rework your example using the Abstract Actor Method. I will post later today once i complete.

Brian G. Shea
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,867 Views)

BrianGShea@NTS wrote:

So, if I have 10 Abstract Messages that are handled by 10 Actors, there will be 120 Classes? 10 parent message classes and 100 child message classed, plus 10 Actor classes.

Yes, that is a correct assessment.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,867 Views)