cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

show front panel in LV13

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I had a program in LV12, using actors, it worked well in dev environment and when compiled and installed.

I upgraded to LV13, and in the dev environment everything works fine, but when compiling the main Actor doesn't launch at all. I discovered that my main VI isn't launching because Actor.vi (from vi.lib) has added a new and inexplicable (to me at least) conditional disable structure, stating that the actor core should be launched in the runtime environment only if show front panel = F. Why?  Why was this feature disabled? I found it very useful.

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,646 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dsavir

This has been discussed before here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/16129?start=0&tstart=0

Essentially, it is mentioned in the documentation, but overlooked by many of us that ended up with the same issue. The last few messages in the thread explain AQs thoughts.

-Carl

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,587 Views)

Sleepy_Engineer has it right. The short answer: supporting that feature was causing AppBuilder to retain and load the front panels for all Actor Core VIs when built into an EXE leading to excessive memory use and bad performance (because having a VI's panel open makes the controls update while it is running). Disabling that feature in the runtime engine allowed the majority of actors to not retain their panels.

Message 3 of 5
(3,587 Views)

Thanks, Sleepy_Engineer and AQ. I searched but missed  the explanation at the end of that thread (didn't see from the beginning what the connection was as I didn't get an error - that should teach me to read to the end of the thread...)

Thanks for your patience!

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,587 Views)

No problem. Glad we could help. Sorry we had to break this feature.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,587 Views)