Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install the Multisim co-simulation plug-in for LabVIEW 2014?

Below are the files needed to install the Multisim 13.0.x Co-simulation Plug-in for LabVIEW 2014.

Here is how:

1. Unzip this here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\vi.lib\Simulation\EMI\Plugins\Multisim Design

The folder should look like this.

Multisim Design Folder.png

2. Unzip this here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\help\

Then relaunch LabVIEW 2014.

See here for more information.

Message 2 of 15
(15,061 Views)

It works, but only in 32bits configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(15,061 Views)

I followed these instructions when I upgraded to LabVIEW 2014 and it worked great. I recently upgraded to Multisim 14 (through NI Update Service) and it's now crashing when I try to run simulations with Multisim models.

Might I have messed up the co-simulation plugin from Multisim 13 with the one from Multisim 14?

It seems that when I run old projects without touching the Multisim Design VI, simulations still work. If I reconfigure the Multisim Design VI (because I change something in the model and want to reflect that in my simulation VI), I start getting the aforementioned crash.

Any ideas as to how to proceed? I'd like to keep updating my models and simulations. Should I just uninstall Multisim 14?

Thanks in advance for any clues.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(15,061 Views)

Sorry for the slow reply and sorry to hear about the trouble. The LabVIEW co-simulation plug in for LabVIEW 2014 is installed automatically with Multisim 14 by selecting the option during installation, so please don't follow the instructions above when using Multisim 14 with LabVIEW 2014. (They are only needed when using Multisim 13 with LabVIEW 2014.)

What I'd recommend doing is deleting this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\vi.lib\Simulation\EMI\Plugins\Multisim Design

Then uninstall Multisim 2014 and the co-simulation plug-in, and re-install it and the co-simulation plug in.

My guess is the you may have had files in the LabVIEW 2014 folder external model interface (EMI) Plugins folder that were for Multisim 2013, and these files were not properly updated when you installed Multisim 14. (Perhaps the files were configured as read-only, and for some reason the Multsim 14 installed was not able to overwrite them...). Please let me know if this does the trick.

For anyone else reading this thread, you can download Multisim 14 from here (http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALMULTISIM/US). I recommend deleting this folder before installing to make sure the installer is able to update it with the proper files for Multisim 14. Also be sure to select the option to install the co-simulation plug-in (this is normally the default if you have LabVIEW installed):

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(15,061 Views)

Thanks, Brian. Indeed, deleting the Multisim Design folder and reinstalling Multisim 2014 fixed the files: from the Multisim Design node on a VI block diagram I previously could only select ms13 and ms12 files. I can now select ms14 and ms13 files. That's an improvement.

I also have the impression that I could have fixed that problem just by deleting the folder and repairing the installation of NI LabVIEW-Multisim Co-simulation Plug-in 14.0 for LabVIEW:

Co-simulation repair.png

On the other hand, something else that I haven't been able to pin down yet must be causing the crash. I can run simulations referencing a model in a certain path. If I copy and paste that file to another path and reference that new copy (without even opening it in Multisim 14), I get the crash I mentioned in my previous post.

Will work from the original ms14 file and do without moving it to a new path until I get the time to investigate the problem fully. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(15,061 Views)

Hi dfjuggler,

I was able to reproduce the crash you are experiencing and our developers are looking in to what's causing it.

In the meantime you should be able to copy and paste your ms14 to a new file location and get it to work with your vi as long as you copy and paste the vi with it as well, so both the multisim design and the vi that references it are in the same location. I hope that is helpful for the time being while we investigate the issue.

Jeff

National Instruments

Message 7 of 15
(15,061 Views)

Hi dfjuggler,

I just wanted to update you - our developers have taken a look and implemented a fix for this issue internally. This fix will be included in our 14.0 maintenance release. I don't have a definitive date for that release but it is slated for early next year.

The most reliable workaround remains what I mentioned above - keeping your VI and Multsim design in the same directory. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

Jeff

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(15,061 Views)

Thanks for going after the issue. I will cope with the workaround until the update is released. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(15,061 Views)

can someone please e-mail me those files and folders i need to copy to my labview for the co-simulation plugin to work.

It would be very helpful.

my e-mail is hunzahanif14@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(15,060 Views)