Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help--fail to install NI-VISA and NI488.2 with Ubuntu 12.10

When I try to install NI-VISA and NI-488.2 with ubuntu 12.10, I was blocked by a error about gcc version. Here below is what I have done and error message I got:

1. download NI-VISA5.4.1.iso and extract all files;

2. >sudo ./INSTALL --nodeps

then I got the feedback as below:

National Instruments products support the following Linux distributions:

openSUSE

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop + Workstation

Scientific Linux

Refer to README.txt for the latest information at the time of release.

Refer to www.ni.com/linux for the most recent information about Linux

support at National Instruments.

Continue? [Yn] y

Checking required install tools...

Checking installer tool versions...

rpm        4.10.0 can be used with a default installation path

tar        1.26

Checking dependencies...

glibc      2.15

Unpacking install files to /tmp/nivisa-5.4.1f0.install...

******************************** ERROR ****************************************

* The version of gcc in the path does not match the version of gcc used to    *

* compile the currently running kernel.  This can cause unpredictable         *

* behavior in kernel drivers and should be fixed.                             *

* gcc version: gcc 版本 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1)                                                           *

* kernel compiled with: 4.7.2                                                 *

******************************** ERROR ****************************************

Anybody help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(8,073 Views)

hey rainy_uestc,

this is a bug in the installerUtility.sh. I've walked around twice with the following steps:

• copy the entire NI-VISA-directory to /tmp

• extract the nivisa-5.2.0f0.tar.gz files or whatever your version is

• comment out line 356 (return $statusFail ) in the file /tmp/NI-VISA/bin/installerUtility.sh

• change line 1309 (. $kTmpInstallSrcPath/bin/installerUtility.sh) in (. /tmp/NI-VISA/bin/installerUtility.sh) of file /tmp/NI-VISA/INSTALL that your changes take place

• go to /tmp/NI-VISA/ with cd /tmp/NI-VISA

• launch the NI-VISA installation by calling ./INSTALL

good luck

Bodo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,937 Views)

bvpost

I did as your method step by step, and installation goes on, and finally I got a error as below:

NI-VISA for Linux version 5.4.1f0

is about to be installed using rpm at /usr/local/natinst

Would you like to continue? [Yn] y

Installing NI-VISA for Linux version 5.4.1f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

Pre Installation ...................................

rpm:RPM should not be used directly install RPM packages, use Alien instead!

rpm:However assuming you know what you are doing...

正在准备…                       ################################# [100%]

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nikali-2.5.0-f0.noarch and nirpci-4.3.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nipalki-2.9.1-f0.i386 and nikali-2.5.0-f0.noarch

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nispyi-2.8.1-f0.i386 and nipalki-2.9.1-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nipalerri-2.9.1-f0.i386 and nispyi-2.8.1-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nipxipfki-2.1.0-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/bin conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/ChineseS conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/English conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/French conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/German conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/Japanese conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/Korean conflicts between attempted installs of niapalerri-2.3.1-f0.i386 and nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

Error installing NI-VISA for Linux 5.4.1f0.

Installer is aborted.

I don't know what happed, and can you help?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,937 Views)

Hey rainy_uestc,

It seems like you have already something in the /usr/local/natinst .

What about to clean up the mentioned directory.

For compare I'm going to attach my console output from Dez. last year.

Bodo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,937 Views)

rainy, I Could never get any versions of Labview to work on any version of Linux. Don't care what NI say it just does not work. Specially Ubuntu (NI does not even support Ubuntu anyway) Barddya

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,937 Views)

Bodo,

yes, I did as you said to delete the folder before install NI-VISA, and still the problem.

I have already installed PyVisa which is a wrapper of NI-VISA before I try to install NI-VISA, is it possible the cause?

BR

Weixu

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,937 Views)

barddya,

hmm...., okay, it's really pain for linux user to work with NI-VISA.

actuslly what I want to do is to use PyVisa to control my instrumens via GPIB, ethernet, USB,etc with Linux. Do I have any other choise?

BR

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,937 Views)

BR,

If you plan to use Python then there are many libraries available and you should be OK. Labview on Linux, on other hand is a total different story.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,937 Views)

barddya,

any recommendation or suggestion to me?

actually I don't use Lanview at all, but I always use pyvisa which is depends on NI-VISA, that's where my problem comes from.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,937 Views)

Rainy,

I am positive that I have seen visa communication on Ubuntu 12.xx; as well as pyvisa.

What I did was that I looked at the code that someone else had written (Linux) and converted to Labview on a Mac and PC. There is a ton of python code, examples on the net.

see:

http://pyvisa.readthedocs.org/en/1.5/

Good luck

Barddya

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,937 Views)