From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy LabVIEW code FROM c-rio TO laptop

Hello,

I am a mentor from team 4187 and I am just learning LabVIEW so I can mentor new team members on programming the bot.  We lost our one and only programming team member to graduation of High School.  Our problem is that we don't have a copy of the LabVIEW source code for our still-functioning 2014 robot.  The code is still deployed on the c-rio, however, and the bot runs when we use Driver Station.  We were hoping to find a way to copy the LabVIEW code off of the C-RIO to save it on our laptop before we tried messing aound with new code.  That way we would always have a working version of the code if we needed it.  Is there a way to do this, or is code compiled down to machine code when it's deployed?  Even if it is machine code, can that be backed-up to the laptop somehow, and later re-deployed in it's machine code state?  I've seen some stuff online about using FTP to move files to & from the C-RIO, but, even if I tried that, I wouldn't know which files to copy.  Any help appreciated. Thanks...

boler

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,565 Views)

The code is compiled to machine code.  The safest bet is to simply FTP every file off of the cRIO as a backup.  Fortunately on vxworks the file system is simple and has no permissions or other meta data associated with file that would be lost (not true of Linux and the new roboRIO) so that means having all the files is all you need to have a working system.

That said, you should only need the /ni-rt/startup directory for the compiled startup app.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,214 Views)

Thank you DAQjr.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  boler...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,214 Views)