Unit Testing Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new .lvtest from within the Project Window

OK, so I'm starting to look into regular testing with UTF. I installed it, and from memory I know that I can right click a folder and select New > Unit Test. 

Doing this gives me a new file Untitled.lvtest.

Great, thanks. But how do I rename it??

If I right click it and select Rename, I get to choose a new filename in a Windows Dialogue, but the change doesn't get set.

If I go to Windows Explorer and try to rename it, it's apparently locked for use in LabVIEW.

If I double click the test to edit it's properties, the filename is a disabled field and can't be changed.

Am I missing something obvious? How do you change the name of a test?

Note: I have Requirements Gateway open, but it's not currently indexing UTF files and closing it makes no difference.  Environment: Win 7 32-bit, clean virtual OS, LabVIEW 2013 SP1.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,475 Views)

Hi Thoric,

That question was asked/answered in the following thread, it seems to be a Bug

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/24519?tstart=0

Once you close LV you can rename them using windows explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,840 Views)

So how does everyone else rename their lvtest files? I can't believe everyone happily shuts down LV every time they create a new UTF test?? I only close LV at the end of the day (or if it does it itself!), because I usually have multiple windows open on set places etc., I don't want to lose all that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,840 Views)

Well, I do not know how other people do it, but it seems to be the only way to fix this problem at the moment. I do completely agree with you though.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,840 Views)

On that other thread that Jpina pointed to, there is the following alternative:

"I too have had the rename issue. If you right click on My Computer and got New>>Unit Test I agree you cannot rename it. However. Right Click on the VI in the project and right Click Unit Tests>>New Unit Test and it will name a unit test the same as your VI. You can then rename this one. I don't know why, but it works.  Mike"

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 5 of 6
(5,840 Views)

Thanks Fab, I thought I'd read the whole thread but I must have missed that tip. I'll create my new tests that way in future 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,840 Views)