NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real-Time Target Discovery Wizard Discussion

Description

Having trouble discovering your networked real-time target through Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)? Networked device discovery is a complicated procedure that can be affected by several variables including (but not limited to):

• Software Compatibility - Is your target (hardware) compatible with the software on your computer?
  • Firewall Configuration - Is your Windows or third-party firewall blocking the network ports used for discovery?
  • Cabling / Port Usage - Are you using an incorrect type of cable or the incorrect network port on your target?
  • IP Addressing - Is the IP address scheme used by your target in conflict with the IP addressing scheme used by your computer?
  • Subnetting - Is the target located on the same subnet as your computer?

This wizard will intelligently guide you through a set of troubleshooting steps specifically designed for your target. Troubleshooting procedures are modified based on the properties of the target (ports, switches, OS, etc), information about your system configuration, and the types of troubleshooting tools you have access to (serial cable, USB cable, etc).

>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<

Feedback & Discussion

To help National Instruments better characterize and address challenges related to networked target discovery, please use the feedback submission form that appears when you exit the wizard to submit your troubleshooting session logs.

Please use this page to ask questions, start a discussion or post any feedback you have on the Real-Time Target Discovery Wizard.

Nick C | Software Project Manager - LabVIEW Real-Time | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,742 Views)

Hey Nick,

You may want to add a link to the download page to your post. If someone finds this via search it will be difficult to get to the download page.

As for the wizard itself its looking good so far but I ran into a snag. When I loaded it up, windows asked me if I wanted to let the wizard through the firewall. But when I get to the firewall page, it says the wizard can't get through. I try hitting "add rules" and a windows admin dialog pops up and something runs, but at the end the firewall settings still show up as bad. Max does not have an issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,402 Views)

Daniel,

I think I have an idea of what might be causing the problem. Can you do the following:

1. Start >> Search >> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
  2. Select Inbound Rules
  3. Post a screenshot. It should look something like this...

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 1.18.11 PM.png

I think we attempt to remove rules blocking the wizard by the executable name and not by the application name. Therefore, if you have a rule blocking by application name (Real-Time Target Discovery Wizard) I don't think we find that currently.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,402 Views)

Hey Nick,

It looks like TDT Wizard was unblocked, but the "Real-Time Target Discovery Wizard" was blocked for 'public' connections (I am on a 'private' connection of course). I set the system to allow these connections and it works now.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,402 Views)

Daniel,

The wizard download has been replaced with a version that contains a fix for the issue you reported as well as several other fixes.

-Nick-

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,402 Views)