Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional crashes when built into an executable

Hi,

I have the problem that my software occasionally crashes on close but only when built into an executable (tricky to debug). At first I thought it might have to do with the cyclic "time delayed message" not shutting down in time before the queues it inserts into are being closed. Reason for that was that in the crash dump always the "time delayed message.vi" flagged up but I have changed that now and it is now an actor which appears in the crash dump.

Did any of you encounter anything similar, is there a known solution?

AF crash.png

I have also attached the crash dump. It's not critical as nothing of importance happens on shutdown (the usual, closing all child actors, shutting down hardware) but I'm definitely out of ideas.

thanks a lot for having a look

best regards

Mathis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,101 Views)

Mathis,

while my reply is no solution, it might help how you look at the problem. I had several crashes too and finally found a device driver as the root cause, which never was mentioned in the crash report. It started an extra thread when calleb, that had to be closed explicitely using its handle. Otherwise it kept running even when the calling vi was aborted or otherwise finished. And this locked the device, so the next run of the caller never returned and/or crashed. Bad programming style in the driver...

I just want to remember you that LabVIEW is inherently multitasking and there are severel threads and/or tasks running in parallel, especially with AF. The one module that was running at the actual crash (and being reported in the crash report) will probably be related to the crash cause, but this is not necessary the case.

So keep an open mind when thinking about the cause. And do not entirely rely on the crash report.

Just my € 0.02!

Greetings from Germany!

--

Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,080 Views)

This sounds familiar.  See the answer to this thread:  https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/70923#70923

It may be a different issue, since you are seeing it in built executables and not source code.  On the other hand, the core issue only shows up in certain projects where the timing is just right (or wrong), and EXEs often have subtly different timing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,080 Views)

Thanks everyone,

I think hardware drivers definitely makes sense. My guess is on the Kvaser CAN drivers which I am using. I've been using those for ages but never had a problem so far but it's definitely what makes most sense.

thanks a lot again

best regards

Mathis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,080 Views)