LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading serial data from the Arduino

Hello,

I am new to this, and I've been doing some research, Im am still confused.

If I use the labview interface, can I still program the arduino? Example

I have a temperature sensor that working in voltages, do I have to use labview to read these

voltages and then do the math to turn them into temperatures? Or can I do the math

on the Arduino and then send that to labview?

If so can someone point me to a guide of some sort? I am so lost and I have been at this

for the better part of 4 hours.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,625 Views)

The easiest answer is no (aka general use cases). The actual answer is yes (customized functionality). If your sensor is a simple analog signal (not a thermocouple) then there is no reason to put any code on the Arduino.

To be able to add code on the Arduino, you have to make sure that it is implemented as part of the LIFA architecture.  There is no guide to do this but I have explained it at moderate length many times in various discussions here. I usually refer to it as "custom functions".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,730 Views)

If you use the Labview Interface for Arduino you could  use the Arduino Analog Read Pin.Vi to read the temperature sensor's output voltage.  Then you would use Labview to convert the voltage reading to either a Centigrade or Fahrenheit  reading.   The Labiview Interface for Arduino is not compatible with ASCII strings.

Or you could let Arduino do the conversion and use a Labview VI similar to the Continuous Serial Write and Read.VI to collect serial data from Arduino.

hrh212

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,730 Views)