Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no mac?

Why is there no support for Mac users?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,881 Views)

Hi Alex,

I'm a Mac user too, so I can relate. Sorry for any inconvience it causes, but LabVIEW for FRC is supported on Windows only. While LabVIEW works seamlessly with the roboRIO, you can also choose to program with C++ or Java.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,041 Views)

Seeing as there is some support for Mac by National Instruments, do you expect a Mac-compatible version to be released in the near future? If NI managed to port over the LabVIEW app already, it would seem quite doable and very beneficial to those who use primarily Apple products (many schools, such as my own, have a one-to-one computer program with Macbooks).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,041 Views)

While we do have a version of LabVIEW for Mac, the LabVIEW Modules and Toolkits available on Mac are still very limited. Specifically, LabVIEW for FRC depends heavily on the LabVIEW Real-Time and FPGA Moudles, which are both Windows-only.

So I would expect LabVIEW for FRC to continue to be Windows-only for the forseeable future.

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,041 Views)

Zachmx wrote:

LabVIEW for FRC depends heavily on the LabVIEW Real-Time and FPGA Moudles, which are both Windows-only.

And yet NI used to ship LV RT for Mac.  So there is a big reason and market to bring that back!

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,041 Views)

If they had the module and stopped developing it for the Mac, it lends to the idea that there isn't much of a market for it.

Either way, it's not really worth arguing about.  If it's not out by now, it's not going to be out in time for this season.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,041 Views)