From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM 12V Control

I am trying to control a guage with a PWM pin on an Arduino UNO. In this case, it is an automotive tachometer. I am getting external input into LabVIEW so I am not interested in using a potentiometer or other device to control it. I find many articles / videos etc. on PWM control but it seems they mostly revolve around a potentiometer for input as opposed to a programmatic signal from digital input.

I attached the VI that I started with. I hooked 12v to the guage and then tied the ground for the 12v to the UNO. I put the signal wire from the tach to pin 3 for PWM control.

As you will see in the VI, I used a dial on the front panel to control the 0-255 pwm output.

I found the guage reacted and then went full scale at a range of about 26 to 36 of the 0-255 available range.

I need to be able to filter/buffer/manage the signal to be less granular and open it up. Ideally, I would like to have the full 0-255 available for control.

After some help from another person on the forums here, it seems I probably need to be sending it a variable frequency signal.

Assuming that is the solution, I am trying to understand how I send that signal. Would anyone have an example VI or maybe a schematic if i need to potentially be lookng at a circuit added into the mix?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts / help you may be able to offer.

Steve P

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,471 Views)

I can't open your VI but I'm guessing you are the same person on the LINX forums.  LIFA won't be any better than LINX.  The best you can get is the tone VI which will have a variable frequency but will have a 50% duty cycle.

FYI, Sammy created both LIFA and LINX .

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,774 Views)

Yes I am the same person from LINX and since I can't get an answer or direction there, I am trying different avenues to try and get some help with this.

Oh well.....

Sorry;

Steve P

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,774 Views)